Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint tiles and silicone?

triciahales8
Finding My Feet

How to paint tiles and silicone?

D06FC0F3-E8CA-469E-BA84-7AEBADC0A467.jpeg

hi I’m painting over laundry sink tiles with the above primer. To paint the tiles either white or very dark grey. 

after being sold the wrong primer yesterday which has no paint adhering anywhere I feel a little excited that this one is at least sticking to the tiles. 

but it’s not sticking to the corner silicone ? And a few places at the bottom around the silicone there. I read an earlier post which said leave the silicone there and don’t paint over it. Well I can’t it’s all yellowed and looks dreadful. 
what can I do? Not sure whether to wipe this off or keep trying to paint it. ? 

any help would be great. 

Tricia

sydney

3D06D2A1-2DAC-4120-AE52-8CFB370B95E6.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dulux precision maximum stength adhesion primer

Hello @triciahales8 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your silicone seal.

I suggest removing the old silicone sealant by using a CornerTape Professional Silicon Remover. It's critical that all of the old silicone be removed before you apply the new one. I suggest using Selleys 410g Paintable Sealant Paint Over White, it provides a waterproof seal and can be used indoors or outdoors.

My best advice is to make sure to give the silicone enough time to cure before you paint over it.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to silicone seal a bath (the techniques used are applicable to your project)

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Dulux precision maximum stength adhesion primer

Thanks Eric. really appreciate the help. 
Back to Bunnings I go. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects