Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint over gloss tiles?

projectmumdanni
Making a Splash

How to paint over gloss tiles?

20230527_130516.jpg

20230527_135959.jpg

20230527_130518.jpg

 Hi has anyone painted over gloss tiles? I dislike that green and brown strip. Or would you be able to replace it with a different tile? Or should we just renovate the whole bathroom seeing its the only one in our 4 bedroom home? The larger tile is floor tiles in our bathroom. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I paint these type of tiles?

Hi @projectmumdanni,

Part of the preparation process for painting tiles is removing the gloss with sandpaper. So, in that regard, you'd likely have success in painting these tiles as you'll need to abraid them until you achieve a matt finish. You could replace the strip, but I'd be looking for an appropriately sized replacement tile prior to pulling these out.

Floor tiles can also be painted, though it's worth considering what type of foot traffic the area will receive. If it's a shoes-on house, you can presume grit will be bought in on the bottom of the shoes, which could reduce the expected lifespan of the coating.

A full renovation is something to be considered if it's on your mind. Painting tiles is typically done to spruce up tired or older-styled tiles, but if the rest of the bathroom is also aging, a renovation might be a good option. Here's a helpful guide on How to plan a bathroom renovation and our Top 10 most popular bathroom projects for some inspiration.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects