Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint cast iron bath tub with peeled paint and surface rust spots?

jayh
Just Starting Out

How to paint cast iron bath tub with peeled paint and surface rust spots?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi, I’m looking for help in regards to painting the inside of our cast iron bathtub. The outside is fine but the inside had some weak spots which has lifted and now has surface rust and needs to be re painted. Is there a step by step process and from what I can see if it possible to paint it forest green? Everything I have seen seems to be white only. Thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to paint inside of cast iron bsth tub with peeled paint and surface rust spots

Hello @jayh 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about painting your bath.

The key to a successful bath revamp is preparation. Since part of the paint on your bath has started peeling off, it's critical that all the peeling surfaces and rust spots be sanded off. Once all the peeling paint has been removed, the leading edge of the paint that is remaining must be sanded down and feathered so that it blends in with the level of the bath and not stand out.

All silicone seals must be removed as well as the wet paint mixture will not adhere to any silicone surface. If you wish to protect your bath waste, it's best to cover it with masking tape.

I propose having a look at the Rust-Oleum Tub And Tile Refinishing Kit. It's ideal for bathtub revamps and can be used on tiles as well. Please note that this is applicable only to steel baths and is not compatible with acrylic baths.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: Rust-Oleum's Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects