Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get a stuck tap handle off the spindle?

kanyview
Just Starting Out

How to get a stuck tap handle off the spindle?

IMG_4008.jpeg

IMG_4007.jpeg

Hi everyone, I’m trying to fix water dripping issue. Watching a few videos, first step is to get the tap handle off the spindle. However, mine is stuck. I’m not sure if I need to screw it off or pull it off? It looks like a screw to me. Is there a way to hold the spindle tight to be able to spin the handle off?

(In the beginning there was water grime so I put a few drops of vinegar in there to remove the grime)

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to get a stuck tap handle off the spindle?

Morning @kanyview 

The tap looks to be in very good condition. Try holding the tap handle with one hand and using a 'shifter' with the other - turn that locking nut anti-clockwise.

Let us know you you get on.

20240917_081008.jpg

Hi @Noyade , thanks a lot! I manage to unscrew the locking nut now with a shifter. But the handle still won’t move. I tried to wiggle but it doesn’t move at all.

Do you have any tips on how to take it off the spindle? 

IMG_4013.jpeg

IMG_4014.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kanyview,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It's great to see @Noyade's advice was helpful in getting the lock nut off. 

Now that the lock nut is off, the tap should be free to remove, however it may have calcium buildup that is preventing you from removing it. 

I'd suggest filling the top of the tap with WD-40 and waiting for 2-3 minutes for it to soak in. Once you've let it soak, you may be able to jiggle the tap free. If you are still having trouble, you can use a tea towel wrapped under the arms of the tap handle and pull it up. This will give you more purchase allowing you to pull harder on the tap.

Let me know how you go and if you have any further trouble, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Jacob

Thanks for the suggestion.
Still no luck. I fill the top with a few drops of WD40 and also spray underneath the handle. I still can’t jiggle it. I tried using tea towel to pull the handle up. It doesn’t move at all.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kanyview,

If you cover the handle with a tea towel, you can very lightly tap the underside of the tap handle with a hammer in an upward motion. Tap each spigot of the handle gently. Take care not to tap too hard as it will damage the spindle threads.  

The other option is to purchase a tap handle puller.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

Regards the Haron tap-puller - check out Brian's 3-star review and solution - grinding the pin to a point.

At first I didn't understand. But then I super-glued a tap handle onto a spindle and gave it a go.

Brian's onto something here and making a good 'point' - the 'flat' pin wants to dance and skim around on the flat brass - at one point wanting to fall into the abyss.

Before I grind a point and try again - are Brian and I doing something wrong here?

Anyone else try the tap-puller?

Cheers.

Just about to go over the edge...Just about to go over the edge...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade,

Once you have the tool locked on and tightened, are you able to push the rod to the middle of the spindle and then continue to crank? I get the feeling it's likely skipping around as there isn't enough tension to keep it in the one spot. 

Mitchell

I thought like you, that I could reposition the rod tip as you continue to screw - but no, there's too much force.

It has a mind of its own as you tighten.

I don't believe there will be a problem for @kanyview 's tap.

I'm just thinking of those truly incredible stubborn tap handles - that we often see on this site

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Perhaps a gear puller might be more effective @Noyade.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects