Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix wood rot near shower?

shakir99
Just Starting Out

How to fix wood rot near shower?

Noticed some wood rot near the shower in our house we recently moved into. Tore out the skirting and now not sure what to do next. I've attached pictures for reference. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

1000084684.jpg

1000084683.jpg

1000084680.jpg

1000084682.jpg

   

1000084686.jpg

1000084685.jpg

  

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix wood rot near shower?

Hi @shakir99,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

Unfortunately, this one doesn't look like there'll be an easy fix and will likely require extensive remediation work and the assistance of suitably licenced tradespeople. You can see where I've circled in the below photo that the water has gotten in and is rotting the bottom plate of your wall. 

This means that if there was a waterproofing membrane in place, it failed, allowing water to penetrate inside the wall cavity, causing a damp area where rot thrives. The extent of the damage can't be assessed without removing wall sheets and finding the source of the leak.

The fix would involve removing the wall sheets to assess the damage, replacing whatever wood has become rotten, then reinstating the sheets, applying a waterproof membrane and sealing to prevent further water damage. It would then require painting, tiling and finishing, depending on how you decide to finish the job.

I would suggest this job would require the assistance of a builder as the damage could be extensive once the wall sheet has been removed. It may be worth contacting your insurer to see if this is covered, as the repair may be more expensive than you think.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Thanks Jacob, I figured that this wouldnt be an easy fix! Will definitely contact my home insurance and send them some photos. Hopefully they can get someone to come over to assess the damage asap

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @shakir99,

It's an unfortunate situation and I feel for you. Hopefully, your insurance provider is speedy with their assistance.

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects