Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix water running after tap is off?

macca5154
Just Starting Out

How to fix water running after tap is off?

When I turn off the vanity basin water tap, the water stops at 95% "off" then at 100% off, the water  comes on again!

How do I fix that ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix water running after tap is off?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @macca5154. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about a leaking tap.

It sounds like you're dealing with a frustrating issue. Has this problem just started occurring, or has it been ongoing for a while? It could be that the tap valve is damaged or worn out, causing it to malfunction when you're turning the tap off completely.

When the internal components of the tap, like the washer or the valve seat, wear down, they might not close properly, which can lead to the water not fully shutting off or even turning back on slightly when the tap is at 100% off. In some cases, the valve may be stuck or there could be a buildup of mineral deposits causing the irregular water flow.

One approach to fixing this is to check the valve to see if it needs replacing. You could disassemble the tap to inspect the valve and other internal components. Replacing a damaged valve is a straightforward task if you have the right tools and a compatible replacement valve. Otherwise, you might want to consider consulting with a plumber to ensure the problem is correctly diagnosed and fixed.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to replace a tap washer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects