Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix water leaking from toilet cistern into the bowl?

Dipash
Just Starting Out

How to fix water leaking from toilet cistern into the bowl?

I have a caroms slimline dual flush toilet cistern. Water leaks from cistern into toilet bowl. I took out the flush mechanism and the washer at tHe bottom was worn so I replaced with kinetic seating washer (got it from Bunnings) . The water still leaks into the cistern. I took out the flush thing again made sure the washer is properly fitted,no luck. Pl.advise what next I can do to fix this. Can I take the flush mechanism to bunnings to check that the washers is properly fitted 

Community manager's note: Check out How to fix a leaking toilet for expert advice. 

E0047A7B-3772-4D5C-B7C6-794F1E31361E.jpeg924C7707-CA97-4E45-9305-84B361FFEE3D.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix water leaking from toilet cistern into the bowl?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dipash. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing a leaking toilet.

If you've replaced the outlet valve, it's likely that the inlet valve washer is leaking. The inlet valve regulates the amount of water in the cistern. If the inlet valve washer has failed and continuously lets water into the cistern, it will always be overfilled. When the cistern becomes over-filled, water is released into the bowl. Turn the water off at the inlet tap on the wall to check this. If the water stops leaking into the bowl after a few minutes, you've confirmed the inlet valve washer is faulty. You'll need to replace the washer in the inlet valve. If you can take a picture inside the cistern, I can point out the inlet valve. Sometimes instead of changing the valve washer, it's easier to replace the whole part with a new Fluidmaster Bottom Entry Toilet Inlet Valve.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects