Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix water leaking from the tap when pipe is connected?

edelhouston
Just Starting Out

How to fix water leaking from the tap when pipe is connected?

IMG_9100.jpeg

when the hose is not connected the water flows fine with no leaks but when hose is connected for the laundry and tap is turned on we are getting a leak out through the top of the tap where is circled. What would this be or how could I fix it?? 

IbrokeIt
Finding My Feet

Re: water leaking from the tap when pipe is connected

I would say that the seal in the shaft to the handle is leaking. 

I had the same issue with a bath set I replaced this week. 

I don't think these seals are replaceable and would replace with a new tap set like these. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/estilo-chrome-washing-machine-set_p5003030

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

It will most likely be a build up of pressure when the hose is connected resulting in a failure within the tap. Typically replacement parts are available, but sometimes it's just easier and economical to replace the tap itself. Though an easy thing to do, legally a plumber should do this for you and only a 5min job.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @edelhouston. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing a leaking tap.

It's great to see you've already received helpful replies from our members.

That sounds like the O-ring on the spindle shaft, which is replaceable. You'll find them in these Tap Valve Repair Kits. While in there, you might as well replace the tap valve since it comes in the kit, too. Have a look at this helpful step-by-step guide: How to change a tap washer. In step five, you'll see the O-ring and how to replace them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

A big Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @IbrokeIt. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and it's awesome to see you jump straight in and assist a member.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Sing out if you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects