Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix shower door that won't go both ways?

ShankM
Finding My Feet

How to fix shower door that won't go both ways?

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to fix this shower door, I have adjusted the door and as best I can tell it is in straight. If you look at the pictures you can see the same / similar gap at the top and bottom, the middle metal bit where the rubber strip goes seems to bow a bit?

So just had a closer look and ran my finger down the frame on the right. It starts off more pushed in at the top and bottom, and towards the center it's further out which is where its getting stuck.

How can I fix that? Did try gently hammering it back in, didn't help plus it has pop rivets in it.

Any advice appreciated!

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-14 at 11.14.42_c1f79ee8.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-08-14 at 11.14.43_2cf65d68.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-08-14 at 11.14.43_170e6b9a.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-08-14 at 11.14.43_bd99f6f0.jpg

Thanks

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix shower door that won't go both ways?

Hi @ShankM,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It's a bit hard to tell from the photos because of the reflections but it looks like the shower frame against the wall is pulling away slightly. See the below image for reference.

Has this happened recently or is there any reason you can think that this would be pulling away from the wall?

Also, can you see any way that this would be attached to the wall? Are there screws or silicone?

I suspect that the answer will be refixing this part of the frame to the wall, so it pulls it out of the way of the glass door.

It also looks like the mounting points for the door can be unscrewed. 

Are you able to loosen these and move the glass at all?

Allow me to tag @Dave-1, @Nailbag and @Jewelleryrescue to see if they have any ideas.

Jacob

Hey, we've just bought this property so not sure if / what has happened.  I did try and screw it in further, while there is a little bit of movement there, I can also see the metal part of the frame where it is riveted in, is not the same width all the way down.  Which is why I suspect the rivets need to be removed, the metal bracket reseated, then screwed or rivetted back in, what do you think?

I just don't know what tools / bits or screws to use!

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @ShankM 

Now that is an odd one, it really seems to be bowing with the support on the wall for some reason. 

I keep going through your photso trying to see what looks out of alignment. The best I can offer short term is to adjust the door top and bottom backets to move it across a little (and yeah you dont have a lot of space against the other side of the door and the frame either)

Photo number two of yours kind of looks like the frame isnt touching the wall? This is the area that looks like its bowing. If the door cant be adjusted then I would be putting a level on the wall to see if its still vertical and also against the door frame. Something has gone skewif. "insert puzzled face"

I wonder if you can meausure diagonally top left to bottom right of the door space (not the door) and then top right to the bottom right. That way we will know if the area is square? That plus a level to verify the wall is vertical and teh frame is also verticle may lead us to an answer.

Dave

So I just removed the two rivets and the inner frame immediately went in, I can now swing the door both ways.  What is a good replacement metal screw to go into this spot?

Looks to be around 1cm or less that it would have to go into.

20240816_144745.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ShankM,

I just want to stress how careful you should be while working around glass as it is extremely easy to shatter it, especially around the edge of the pane. Please ensure you wear gloves, eye protection, enclosed shoes and long work clothes to prevent any unnecessary lacerations.

It would be hard to advise a screw to replace the rivet as they work in different ways. 

I would suggest using a stainless steel rivet that is suitably long and wide to fit in the hole from which you removed the old ones.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Awesome to hear you have already solved the problem @ShankM The other alternative to the rivet that @JacobZ would be to replace it with a slightly longer stainless still screw of the same gauge/thickness.

If the door is not running square to the frame, if you use an Allan key to loosen the two grub screws on the top and bottom hinges, this will allow for some correction. But have a second person holding the door with a towel underneath to protect it from the floor or shower screen frame. As Jacob mentioned the glass will be very heavy and easily broken.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects