Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix glass shower enclosure that no longer closes?

inezruyter
Just Starting Out

How to fix glass shower enclosure that no longer closes?

20241008_124015.jpg

    

20241008_123953.jpg

20241008_124002.jpg

20241008_124005.jpg

All glass 3 piece double shower enclosure. Door does not close. Door now tilts sideways ever so slightly and can no longer close from he top to about 1/2 way down.

1 fixed panel to the wall. 1 fixed panel at right angle to the corner of the fixed wall panel on the left.  Right hand 1 door hinged to the side wall.

Door used to close before a minor earthquake. House is on concrete slab.

Can not adjust hinges. (tried).

Can the edge of the door maybe sanded? I would need to sand off about 1mm to halfway down

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix glass shower enclosure that no longer closes?

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop @inezruyter. We're pleased to have you join the community.

Please note there might be a delay before one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts can get back to you about your shower door because a couple of our team are taking a well-earned break at the moment.

In the meantime, I wanted to stress that glass shower doors and panels are highly susceptible to shattering, so please take care. It might be best to enlist the services of a professional.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @inezruyter 

In this particular instance, I suggest engaging the services of a professional shower installer. They will have the knowledge and experience in repairing your leaning glass door. A typical frameless shower door can weigh as much as 50kg. Any accidental slip or hit on its sides or surface could cause catastrophic damage and injury, so it's best left to the professionals.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Can I maybe just sand down the edge, while it is still attached to the wall,? I had not planned to take the the door off.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @inezruyter 

I'm so sorry but sanding the glass edge is not advisable as well. Your glass door has been machine sanded and finished, it leaves a very smooth edge and manually sanding it will ruin the finish. Plus, you would not be able to sand enough glass off as it is quite thick. For the meantime, I suggest placing a tea towel at the bottom to prevent the glass door from scrapping your shower tray.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thank.you Eric

Ok, no sanding. I can see your reasoning.

And I don't have to.worry about the bottom of the door; there is quite a gap, about 3 cm.

So what do I do?????

Inez

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @inezruyter 

I propose posting the job on Airtasker or Hipages and putting in as much detail as possible. This should encourage the trades to respond to you quickly. Make sure to ask for references so that you can see their past work.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Thank you.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects