Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix gap between floor and vanity?

newbeginner
Growing in Experience

How to fix gap between floor and vanity?

So I've had my bathroom re-tiled and the a new vanity put in. The problem is that the fall on the tiles is so great that it creates a gap under the vanity. What can I do to hide the gap? It is about 12 mm at the biggest end.

1000011453.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: gap between floor and vanity

Hello @newbeginner 

Thanks for sharing your questions about filling the gap between your vanity and floor. I propose using Hume 67 x 12mm 2.7m Moulding White MDF Primed Bullnose in front of the existing kickboard. this will neatly disguise the gap, and the cover will blend in with the vanity. The timber moulding will need to be cut to size of course and can be glued or nailed into position.

Another option is to use self-expanding foam on the gap. By forcing the foam into the gap as you spray along it will take up the space in that gap. Once the foam has fully expanded, I suggest using a Trojan Safety Scraper With 5 Blades to trim the foam. Once properly trimmed you can now paint the surface of the foam so that it blends in with the vanity.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @newbeginner 

Now thats a decent shadow line 😕 @EricL beat me to the punch as I would follow his option one as being the easiest and most professional looking option.

Looking at the pic again I had another thought that may look pretty cool. 

Instead of a 67mm high moulding in front, how about a cut down 12mm moulding instead. This you would slide under the existing face piece. There will probarly be sanding involved to accomadate any differences in height. You could also paint it a differeant colour that fits the style of your bathroom (A slightly heavier grey?). You would fix it with liquid nails on top before sliding it under and then wipping the excess away.

12 x 12mm 2.4m DAR Square Grandis is the timber I am thinking of. Definently will need painting first tho.

I still see option one as the easier :smile: 

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @newbeginner 

Both @EricL and @Dave-1 have provided the ideal solution with timber trims. However, being a kitchen MDF will be at risk of swelling when in contact with any moisture and pine being a soft timber will deteriorate over time, even if primed. So, I would recommend 12mm Tri-Quad Tasmanian oak, primed and painted then sealed along the bottom where it meets the floor with a silicone sealant.

Regards, Nailbag. 

newbeginner
Growing in Experience

The gap at its highest is around 17 mm

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @newbeginner,

If you were to use @Nailbag's method, which I would say is a great way to cover this gap, you can use the 19 x 19mm Tri Quad Tasmanian Oak as opposed to the 12mm.

This will neatly cover the gap along its full length and give a nice finish once painted.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Haha it’s growing. Then definitely use the 19mm @JacobZ @recommended 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects