Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix cistern tap under the bathroom basin?

Jean_S
Just Starting Out

How to fix cistern tap under the bathroom basin?

Hi, I’m keen to fix a leaking valve myself and wanted to know where to start and what I should be looking out for. We have an old valve system and I would like to change this to a shut off valve. Would the loose nut mini cistern tap do? We got this done for the main bathroom as per photo by a plumber who charged us an arm and leg. Hoping to do the ensuite myself. 

IMG_7870.jpeg

IMG_7871.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix cistern tap under the bathroom basin?

Hello @Jean_S

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your cistern tap. 

Please note that this is a plumbing job and must be carried out by licensed plumber. 

The Brasshards 15mm Chrome Loose Nut Mini Cistern Tap you mentioned would be perfect for this situation. This cistern tap would allow you to position the outlet in the proper direction while tightening the nut behind. 

Please note that any threaded portion must be covered with Kinetic 12mm x 10m White Standard Thread Seal to make sure that there are no leaks.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jean_S
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric, just wanted to say this was very helpful and I got around to fixing the cistern taps. It has lead me to another issue with the air conditioning condensate pipe but I’ll post that on a new thread. 

Also ended up changing the tap as the flexi pipes leaked after I changed the cistern tap.

IMG_8075.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jean_S 

Thank you very much for the update. I'm glad to see that you got your cistern tap installed.

If you need assistance with any other project, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects