Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extend washing machine drain pipe?

TM31
Just Starting Out

How to extend washing machine drain pipe?

Hi.  My washing machine drain pipe is short.  I need to connect it with a p trap spighot.  Is there a way that I can use an ordinary hose to extend the drain pipe?  Washing machine extension are too expensive, I am looking for a cheaper fix.  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: washing machine extension

Hello @TM31 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your extending the drain hose on your washing machine. 

One way to do it is to use the Kinetic 2m Grey PVC Washing Machine And Dishwasher Outlet Drain Hose in combination with K-Rain 19mm Barbed Joiner. To prevent the two hoses from pulling apart you'll need to use Toledo 14-27mm Perforated Clamp Hose Fit on each end.

If the hose is only short by 300mm, I propose using Pope 19mm x 90cm Clear Vinyl Tubing. You can use the same joining technique I suggested and make sure that all ends are clamped to prevent them from pulling out. Please do not use more than 500mm of this hose or it will bend and kink.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Washing machine drain hose extension

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TM31. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about extending a drain hose.

Ideally, it would be best to replace the drain hose entirely with something of a suitable length. This avoids having a join which is a potential leak point. Your current hose can be disconnected from the rear of the machine where it attaches and the new hose installed.

All the drain hoses linked above will have a suitably sized connector for your P trap. Remember to use a hose clamp to secure them to the spigot.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

TM31
Just Starting Out

Thanks Eric.  I have fixed the problem by using clear vinyl tubing as suggested by you.  I have used perforated clamps to secure the connections and ensure they do not leak.  I think I should reduce the size of the vinyl pipe.  Appreciate your help.  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @TM31 

To be sure that everything is secure, please inspect the connections once a week until the connections have settled, and no kinks in the pipework are visible.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects