Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to ensure tap handles fit new spindles?

whatisk
Just Starting Out

How to ensure tap handles fit new spindles?

I have been looking at replacing a few of the spindles in taps around the house with the ceramic ones.

Essentially these using basin or wall as appropriate (https://www.bunnings.com.au/shaw-mason-chrome-1-4-turn-clockwise-ceramic-disc-basin-spindle_p5050152).

When replacing the spindles in the laundry, the tap handles don't appear to fit on the spindle. The spindle seems to be slightly wider than the hole in the handle, though the screw cap fits onto the new spindle without issue. I tried the spindle on the tap in the shower as well as bathroom vanity and it fit without issue on the spindle. The vanity handles were quite tight though and so just fit on. This is even though it's the same handle type as in the pic attached for in the laundry.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a possible easy way to be able to use the existing handles with the new spindles? Perhaps enlarge the hole a little on the tap handles so they will fit the spindle? I'm not sure why the slight size difference in the tap handle holes for fitting on the spindle. Especially when the thread seems to be the same size as the caps fit.

Cheers all.

Tap and handle exampleTap and handle exampleHandle hole too narrow for spindleHandle hole too narrow for spindleHandle hole too narrow for spindleHandle hole too narrow for spindle.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to ensure tap handles fit new spindles?

Hello @whatisk 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about tap handles.

As much as I would like to say that there is a standard in place, these differences happen from time to time. It's also possible that your laundry spindles were from an earlier era which set them apart from the rest of the house. 

However, if your spindles are still in good condition, I suggest using the Craftright 9 Piece File Set. This will let you grind away a bit of the brass and allow you to slip the handle in place. Please note not to get too carried away as brass is a soft metal and you could accidentally grind away too much.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
whatisk
Just Starting Out

Thanks for the reply. I bought the house new (though 20+ years ago now) so I can only assume the builder/plumber used what they had and just so happened to be slightly different spindle/handle sizes in the laundry to other areas of the house. Only thing I've done since is change washers when needed.

The handles don't appear to be brass at all and neither is the new ceramic spindle. I can only assume you mean to file away the hole of the handle to enlarge it and not file the spindle itself as that has the thread the handle cap needs to screw onto?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @whatisk 

My apologies, I should have been more specific., Yes, file away at hole of the handle not the spindle itself. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects