Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to divert grey water from laundry to garden?

littlelisacolli
Just Starting Out

How to divert grey water from laundry to garden?

I am in the early planning stages of redoing my laundry, and could really do with some advice please. Let me just say, I am the most beginner of beginner renovator and i am overwhelmed by all the information I am being faced with. We live on a 2 acre block and run on rainwater and have a septic tank. So my question is where do i run my waste water from the laundry so i can reuse it on plants and not fill up my septic tank. At the moment, we have the hose going thru a hole in the window screen and a lot of valuable water is wasted watering the concrete under the verandah. So i could really use any simple persons advice please. lol 

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to divert grey water from laundry to garden?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @littlelisacolli. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about diverting grey water. 

It sounds like a small water tank directly outside the window, like the Garantia 275L Terranova Wall Tank - Graphite Grey would be the perfect place to store the grey water. You can then transfer it from there to where it's needed in the garden, either manually or by a pump. You could also just hook a hose up to it for a gravity flow system. You'd only really be able to water downhill from the tank, though. 

How far away is the garden where the water is needed? You can extend your hose with a Nylex 34mm x 20m Grey Water Hose if it's not too far.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects