Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover popcorn textured wall?

m_ee_e
Just Starting Out

How to cover popcorn textured wall?

IMG_8506.jpeg

IMG_8508.jpeg

 hi! I have this weird textured covering/paint in my bathroom, it it’s like sandpaper. Can I paint it/tile over it?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to cover popcorn textured ceiling?

Hi @m_ee_e,

Please note that a couple of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts are taking a well-earned break at the moment, so there might be a bit of a delay before one can get back to you. Sorry about that.

I also wanted to warn that your ceiling could contain asbestos. Please do not disturb it. You can ask an accredited National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) asbestos testing laboratory to confirm the presence of asbestos. For a NATA Lab List call 1800 621 666 or refer to their website at www.nata.com.au.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
m_ee_e
Just Starting Out

Hi Jason,

it’s on my wall, not the roof, I’m sorry. It looks like sandpaper. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No worries, thanks for the clarification @m_ee_e. One of our team should be able to assist shortly.

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @m_ee_e,

As Jason mentioned, please have it assessed for asbestos before working on it. 

I think the simplest solution would be to cover it over. If you are looking to create a feature, you could use Easy Craft 9 x 2400 x 1200mm easyVJ100 Primed Wet Area Interior Wall Lining. Many of our members have used it in their bathrooms, and it can look stunning. Check out @craftyhopper's amazing Bathroom makeover on a strict budget. Alternatively, we also have products like Wall Art 2400 x 1200 x 3mm New York White Tile Wet Area Wall / Shower Panel for a fresh tiled look.

You could tile over it, but given it's an unknown coating, it's difficult to tell whether it would support the weight of tiles.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects