Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect my dryer vent to an exhaust fan?

cramurf
Just Starting Out

How to connect my dryer vent to an exhaust fan?

Hi,

In my laundry cupboard I have an exhaust fan, however I am looking at installing a dryer with ventilation.   Can I connect my dryer vent to the exhaust fan?   Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to connect my dryer vent to an exhaust fan?

Hello @cramurf

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your dryer's exhaust fan. 

The air coming out of your dryer is extremely humid and hot. It's so hot that prolonged exposure will melt or soften ordinary plastic and damage electrical components. I don't recommend attaching your dryer vent to your exhaust fan, the dryer's fan has been designed to pump out the hot air through a standard vent assembly. This would mean that it either goes through straight the wall or will do a short run to reach the exhaust point.

I suggest having a look at the Pacific Air DIY Dryer Venting Kit. The venting hose you'll notice is made of a PVC material and is built to withstand both heat and heavy moisture. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I have a similar question - my exhaust fan has died (it was never up to the job) and I want to remove the exhaust fan and attach the dryer vent (100mm) to the ducting where the exhaust fan was (it current has a 250mm diameter covering, although I don't know the size of the venting in the wall. Is there kit to do this? Is in an apartment, so external venting isn't an option.

Peter

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Peter_GSF. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing ducting to an exhaust fan cutout.

We do have a range of duct reducers but nothing up to 250mm in diameter. You'd likely need to use a piece of timber to cover the exhaust fan hole and then cut a suitable sized hole in it for your duct. Please consider the advice my colleague Eric provided above about the limitations of duct length and the potential of plastics to melt if they are not designed for the heat from the dryer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects