Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect heat pump dryer to drain?

Crackers1753
Just Starting Out

How to connect heat pump dryer to drain?

I have purchased a new Electrolux washer and also a dryer. Connecting the washer drain line to the laundry sink spigot is easy as the hose has the appropriate size rubber bush to push over the barbed spigot / nipple on the trap.  Our trap has two spigots / nipples and I want to connect the dryer drain to the other one. The problem is that the Electrolux dryer line is only 8 mm internally. I am looking for a rubber reducing adaptor from 19mm to 8 mm. Does anyone know where one is available? I can make one up using a 19 to 12 mm irrigation reducing bush, a lot of hot water and force, plus some short pieces of rubber hose and some clamps but it is a bit rough and ready. I cannot believe there is not a proper item available.

We will be moving soon to an apartment and this laundry sink may only have one spigot / nipple. There are Y pieces available, but all have 19 mm legs. Again, I still need one leg to suit the 8 mm. I can probably swap the trap out to one with 2 connections but are amazed that there is not a readily available fitting. Even the ones internationally on eBay are not really suited. While Electrolux have been extremely helpful with our queries this one remains unsolved.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to connect heat pump dryer to drain?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Crackers1753. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connection a heat pump dryer.

The industry standard at the moment seems to be either using irrigation fittings to cobble together a connection or inserting the hose within the spigot and siliconing it in place. Neither are ideal, but in the absence of a proprietary fitting supplied by the machine manufacturer to adapt to standardised sink traps, that seems to be how people deal with it.

I think the issue is that there are not enough heat pump dryers out there to warrant the trap manufacturers going to the additional expense of including a special spigot for another hose size. Since they are becoming more popular, I'm sure at some point, that's something they'll look to address.

Regarding the need for dual spigots, the easiest option would likely be to swap out to a dual spigot trap.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects