Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change a basin or bathtub waste drain without access underneath?

Stockysan
Finding My Feet

How to change a basin or bathtub waste drain without access underneath?

Hi, 

Does anyone know if the method of removing the waste from a tub from above (shown in the link below) works for all piping and waste designs?:

https://goldcoastplumbingcompany.com.au/how-to-remove-your-bathtub-drain

I don't have access under the tub so would really like to know if I can do this from above, or if I might damage things or cause a leak that I can't fix. 

Regards

Andrew

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to change a basin or bathtub waste drain without access underneath

Hello @Stockysan 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your bath plug and waste. 

My apologies for the late reply. I've moved your query out of spam. The method you've shown me will only work if there is access from the top of the waste, and if the waste you'll be replacing is exactly the same as the one that is currently installed. The video you've shown me shows bath wastes with screws and hollow hex nuts that can be removed from the top.

If your current bath waste does not have these features and is plain with no screws or attachments from the top, it can only be removed from the bottom of the bath. Forcefully pulling or twisting the waste will be counterproductive as it will damage the bath and cause a leak which you are trying to avoid.   

If you are after a quick cosmetic fix, the bath waste can be sanded down and repainted. This will temporarily improve the look of your bath waste.

However, if you are after a long-term fix, I propose taking into consideration that the baths side wall will need to be removed in order for you to gain access to the baths plug and waste. When replacing the bathtub wall, this would be a good opportunity to install an easy access door so that in the future you can easily replace the bath plug and waste. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric, 

Thanks for the response. I am not sure which video you were referring to, that link didn't have a video. But here is an example of a video of someone removing the waste from above, and it doesn't have screws or a hex nut on the top. They do it using a "tub drain remover" tool, done similarly to the explanation in the link I previously posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAwoAzKXhPM

Do you know if the designs we have here are likely to work the same way (I am in Perth, with a brick house built circa 1970, with concrete slab under the bath).  I am wondering if I should get one of those tools and give it a try?

Andrew

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Stockysan (Andrew)

There is a possibility that you would be able to remove the waste in that fashion, but you would not be able to screw it back on. The new plug and waste systems use PVC locking rings and once they fall off the threaded body you won't be able to screw them back on. The older wastes from the 70's were more robust as they used brass fittings which ensured longevity. However, you run into the same issue and that is once the locking ring falls off the body of the waste there is no possibility of hooking it back on from the top. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects