Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build timber frame for Villaboard installation on brick wall?

Pavlo
Just Starting Out

How to build timber frame for Villaboard installation on brick wall?

Hi,

I intend to attach a timber frame to the brick wall and then install Villaboard on to the timber frame.

While I have gone through the Villaboard installation manual, I am unsure on what type of wood I need to install as a frame.

Space is an issue as well, therefore I would like the frame to be as thin as possible while being able to withstand tile weight.

What type and sickness of wood would you recommend ?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to build timber frame for Villaboard installation on brick wall?

Hi @Pavlo 

To answer your  question 19mm pine  would be the thinnest I would  go for a screw to bite into and support some  weight. If you are tiling high  up the wall  use plenty of  screws.

You  have your reasons for your project popping the wall out I am sure

A   Why  arnt you tiling  directly to the wall? It is the strongest and thinnest way.

B  Glue  and screw the villaboard directly to the wall.

Maybe your  wall is very uneven and needs timber shim behind it. Usually that means timber thickness will need to vary to adjust to an uneven wall.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build timber frame for Villaboard installation on brick wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Pavlo. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing Villaboard.

Typically you would use 70 or 90 x 35mm framing timber fixed on it's face to the wall. You could use thinner strips as @Jewelleryrescue has mentioned, but you'll run into issue where you fixing for the Villaboard will go through the timber and hit the brick, preventing you from driving the nails in. The timber you use needs to be thick enough for the fixing nails.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects