Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a temporary shower screen?

rhonda1968
Just Starting Out

How to build a temporary shower screen?

80F0320D-B47D-450F-BEED-A49336037850.jpeg

Hi I’ve just moved into a department of housing property - and would like some bathroom advice as while I will stay here forever I must be able to hand the bathroom in the same condition as this complex is for over 55

the problem is it is totally open nothing stopping the water from the shower going all over - while I brought a shower curtain still not solved my problem as sadly as I raced ro toilet in the middle of the night slipped and cracked my head on the porcelain toilet seat 

I wanted to know is there a temporary glass shower screen I can for 63cm long by 27cm so I can contain the shower water that also easily removed at the end of tenancy as it’s a nightmare as there no lip and water after every shower is everywhere 

appreciate any tips 

7BD4F909-77C6-4FFC-915C-65291B477BB7.jpeg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: bathroom Advice

Hi @rhonda1968 

Wow that fall must of  really hurt hope your ok.

I used to  repair many rental  properties and they had similar problems as  your shower. 

I use to get  some pre mixed sand and cement and build a  low hob (brick  wall) In your case two bricks  height and tile white cheapie  tiles over it if you look around some tiles  will cover the bricks with out having to cut them.  But this solution requires some skills not for a beginner unless your keen to learn and dont worry no land lord will complain about you fixing a saftey issue /  worst case you can tap the bricks out with out hurting tiles underneath.

There  are  glass screen options for around $600 but thats a lot of money on top of the rent and will require drilling walls so.

A bunch of landlords may fix  in a solution for you if asked?

Even bricks sitting lose on the floor will stop most water at a  pinch/

But a simpler solution is not to use glass,  but get a  longer shower curtain or extend the  one you have to stop the water splashing out if the curtain is touching the floor and bunching up a  little it will help stop water flow out.

And  you can buy reasonably in expensive universal  replacment toilet seats at Bunnings we can  help  you through  the install.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a temporary shower screen?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rhonda1968. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a temporary shower screen.

I'm so sorry to hear of your accident; I do hope you are alright. You've raised quite a serious safety concern here, and I'd encourage you to follow up with your contact at the Department of Housing to discuss ways to resolve the issue. Since this is a complex for over 55's, the design choice of bathroom layouts should be conducive to older residents using them. Crossing wet tiles to reach the toilet is a concern and a dangerous situation, given your fall.

Some suggestions to assist: 

• Lowering the curtain rail or installing a longer shower curtain that reaches the ground to help prevent water from escaping the shower recess

• Installing appropriate grab rails in the bathroom

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYGnome
Becoming a Leader

This is clearly a poorly laid out bathroom design, a small low partition between the shower and toilet whilst it would alleviate the initial problem would create a new slip hazard (more so than the toilet seat), I agree with the addition of grab rails (surprised they are not already installed) and non slip strip's but would consider the extended/lowered shower curtain your best (and safest) solution.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @rhonda1968 

Going through the replies A longer showercurtain seems to be a very nice option, Id also suggest a weighted showercurtain so it stays sytraighter easier. 

I was about to suggest a rubber strip under the curtain but any water falling on the high side would potentially pool so that goes out teh window.

Id hit up thedepartment of housing and see what they can come up with as a first step tho.

And just saw that you are a newcomer :smile: Woohooo Welcome to the Bunnings Community Page :smile: Lots of ideas and you can see that with the answers on your question :smile: Have a wander through the search function, It takes my breath away at some of the project sand also issues we all have! Hope your head is ok but OUCH! 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects