Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach gooseneck shower arm without removing soapholder?

ishkan
Getting Established

How to attach gooseneck shower arm without removing soapholder?

Hi all,

We’re updating the tapware in our bathroom. We’ve got these gooseneck shower arms that we’d love to install, but as you can see from the images, we can’t screw the arm in because of the soapholders on either side.

I’ve got all the tools to remove the soapholders, but am worried about damaging the waterproofing.

Question: is there a plumbing fitting (saw something about unions?) that could help us install the gooseneck without having to twist the whole gooseneck around?

Thanks very much!

IMG_5075.jpeg

IMG_5076.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gooseneck shower arm - union or remove soapholder?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ishkan. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a shower arm.

There are compression unions that allow pipework and fittings to be joined. However, you have threaded fittings on both sides and I can't think how a union could be used. They also have a length to them, so it will push the arm too far out from the wall.

Is there a cover plate that comes with the arm? The only thing I can think of is possible using a 15mm threaded connector. It could be fully screwed onto the threaded outlet, then the shower arm engaged on it and then undone a few rotations, which will screw it into the arm. That's not a great solution, but once again, it will push the arm out too far from the wall.

Let me mention a few of our best problem solvers @Nailbag, @Noyade, @TedBear and @dave1 to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @ishkan 

Are you committed to that shower head, can it be returned/exchanged?

If so there is a huge range of Gooseneck roses that have much easier fixing solutions. 

They can be the same single head but with a seperate short connector rod with cover plate. Then the gooseneck press fits within that with and then secured with grub screws. 

Then there are models where an adjustable height arm is fixed to the wall with a flexi hose that fits to a connector with backing plate that’s screws on to your water outlet. 

Nailbag

IMG_8784.jpeg

IMG_8785.jpeg

IMG_8786.jpeg

ishkan
Getting Established

Thanks for the reply both!

Yeah given the extension consideration we’ll probably try and either get another arm that screws on with a better mechanism, or try and pry out the two soap holders 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects