Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i cover hole around bathroom wall tap?

ivka1
Getting Established

How do i cover hole around bathroom wall tap?

Hi

we just had the bath wall set replaced but there is now a small hole around the tap- see pictures 

i do not want to call out the plumber again

do Bunnings sell a cover plate that I can wrap around / snap without removing the tap - similar to the attached pic?

thanjs

IMG_0400.jpeg

IMG_0415.png

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How do i cover hole around bathroom wall tap?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @ivka1. We're delighted to have you join us.

My apologies for the slow reply to your question. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be online later today and will be happy to assist you. 

Let me also tag our ever-helpful members @Dave-1@CSParnell and @TedBear for their thoughts in the meantime. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ivka1 

My apologies for the late reply. I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the snap/wrap around product you're referring to.  

However, one way to cover the gap is by using Parfix 500g Ready To Use Multipurpose Filler. This product dries hard and can be used for indoor or outdoor repairs. Your objective is to use the filler to cover the gap at the same level as the tile. I suggest using a Pro Renovator 50mm Plastic Scraper to prevent scratching the tile. This will save you from having to sand down the excess filler.

Another method is to use a Kinetic 295 x 210mm White Flat Self-Adhesive Cover Plate. This is a laminate plate that can be cut into a circle to the size that you need. You then stick this right over the spout so that it covers the damage. However, silicone must be applied to the outer and inner edge of the laminate cover to prevent water ingress.

One more way to cover the damage is to use a Kinetic Cover Plate. The come in various sizes, I therefore suggest measuring the size of the flange of the spout and compare it with the cover plates available at the store. I suggest using silicone to attach the plate to the tile wall.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @ivka1

Before I start asking questions :smile: (I ask lots) Id like to say welcome to The Bunnings community page :smile: Lots of people have similar issues and it makes something that may seem hard become manageble when you know we all have the same issues (plus its fun to just wander through peoples projects and questions)

My first question is "Did the plumber leave the tap that way?" If they did I would sugest to get them back to fix the issue. 

If they didnt or it will be too much trouble (Been there before for sure) then I would go down the path of a cover plate that @EricL has mentioned that fits between the wall and the tap itself (You will need to under the neck of the spout is all)

Dave

ivka1
Getting Established

Thank you 😊 

ivka1
Getting Established

Thanks Dave

The plumber did leave it like that but like you suggested it’s too much hassle to ask him to come back - so will ensure I measure correctly so that I purchase the correct size cover plate is used 

cheers 😊

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Apologies @Akanksha just catching up on posts. Looks like all has been sorted. 

Have a great weekend all.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects