Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I remove this tap head?

LGC
Finding My Feet

How do I remove this tap head?

Howdy.   Just wondering how to remove this type of tap handle? There's no cap to pop off to access a screw. Thanks in advance🙂

20220707_224221.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I remove this tap head?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @LGC. It's good to have you join us and I trust our helpful members will be able to provide lots of advice and inspiration for all your projects around the home and garden.

Let me tag the one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @MitchellMc to assist you. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LGC,

It looks like the solution is already on the community! Check out this discussion: How to remove acrylic tap handles? It appears you'll need to hold the tap handle steady and rotate the skirt under it. The treaded skirt is what locks the handle on.

Please let me know if that works for you or if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks MitchellMc!  Tops are off!  Any tips on shifting this plastic son of a b? Will not budge!!  Original aim was to just replace the handles. Quick job🤣

20220708_231830.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That flathead grooved bolt in the top seems pretty suspect @LGC. I believe you need to unscrew it with a flathead screwdriver. It should be a short little screw/bolt that holds the plastic lug in place on the shaft. 

When you start to undo it, it will back the spindle out until it locks at full open. You should then be able to undo the screw. It will likely be seized, so spray a little WD-40 on it before attempting. 

My favourite tool for these types of operations is a screwdriver with a set of locking pliers attached to the handle. It lets you put your weight down on the screwdriver and use the pliers as a handle. You can apply an incredible amount of force this way.

Let me know how you go.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects