Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I remove the grout stains?

harry8
Just Starting Out

How do I remove the grout stains?

Hi, I’ve recently noticed the grout is stained in my bathroom and I was hoping to remove it. What is the best way for me to do this. Thank you in advance 

IMG_3208.jpeg

IMG_3209.jpeg

IMG_3210.jpeg

IMG_3211.jpeg

    

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I remove the grout stains?

Hello @harry8 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about removing your grout.

I can see from your photos that you've already started with a grout hand tool and an electric brush. If you wish to remove the grout thoroughly, I suggest using a multitool in combination with a Diablo 70mm Universal Fit Diamond Grit Multi-Tool Blade for Grout 2608F02294.

This will grind the grout out and leave you with the original gap between the tiles. Please note that this will generate a great deal of grout dust. I therefore recommend closing the bathroom off with a drop sheet in combination with painter's tape. I also suggest covering the vanity and toilet with drop sheets.

Once you've removed all the grout, I recommend using a shop vac like Ozito 1250W 12L Stainless Wet And Dry Vacuum to take up all the dust and debris produced by the grinding. Give the tile gaps a good brush and wipe the surface of tile as well.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides: 

My best advice is to seal the grout using Dunlop 250ml Grout Sealer. This will protect the grout from dust and debris, plus it will make it easier to maintain.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How do I remove the grout stains?

@harry8 - did you try any grout cleaners. I have had excellent results with just cleaners

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects