Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fix a leaking tap in the laundry?

Thehomeboffin
Getting Established

How do I fix a leaking tap in the laundry?

IMG_1809.jpeg

IMG_1807.jpeg

IMG_1804.jpeg

  

Hi everyone, I’m hoping you can help me sort out a leaking tap. I just had a new washing machine connected and realised there is a leak in the cold water tap, prior to this it was never used so I was unaware. The connection from the machine to tap itself is fine, it’s coming from just behind the tap head and I believe it might be a busted o ring. Could this be an easy fix? I’m not sure exactly how to get the tap head off, I think it requires a little tool to go at the back and release it but not certain of the process. Images attached for reference. Any tips are much appreciated, thanks.

Re: How do I fix a leaking tap in the laundry

Evening @Thehomeboffin 

Think im Late to the party :smile: Def good advice from all tho.

The spindle should be accesable once you unscrew that nut with two slots dynamicaly opposite each other on the end of the shaft. I suspect that black rubber should be able to be pulled off or will come off after you undo that nut.

There is a special tool for that type of nut but dont know the name. Sometimes you find it in a new set as an accessory but I generally have undone them using a flat blade screw driver and putting it against the edge and tapping gently. A pair of circlip pliers could also be used.

Once that nut is off and the rubber end piece then the spindal shaft will be exposed and you can use a spanner to undo it.

Dave

Hi @Thehomeboffin not sure what happened with my reply post on this, but it pretty much followed the lines of @Dave-1 has posted.

Typically when you remove the handle cap that would have exposed the nut with the slots in it. When you remove that the handles comes straight off. In your case the handle looks to have been a push on pressure fit. So both the rubber and screw need to be removed as @Dave-1 described either by tapping a large flat bladed screwdriver (my go to) in to one of the slots (indicated by green arrows in image) or with circlip pliers.

Make sure the mains water tap is off before removing the spindle with a shifter. I usually open the garden tap while I'm there to relieve some of the pressures with the line. Put a towel on the ground under the washing machine tap, then slightly loosen the spindle. Hold a bucket directly underneath while you remove the spindle, then lower it to the floor while water drains out of the pipe.

When replacing the tap valve, check out this little video in the valve kit product page for some helpful advice.

regards, Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-07-21 at 5.58.53 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-21 at 6.00.15 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-07-21 at 5.46.21 PM.png

Hi @Thehomeboffin,

If you are struggling to get the nut off, you might like to pick up one of these kits: Kinetic Spout and Handle Repair Kit. It includes the spanner you'll need for the nut. At this stage, given the issues you've experienced and the potential for further issues to occur once you've removed the black fitting, I'd almost call it quits and follow @Nailbag's advice of replacing the tap. There would be less work involved, even at this point, to simply screw off the tap and screw a new one on. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects