Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I need to have a brick hob in a laundry?

juliewheelhouse
Community Newcomer

Do I need to have a brick hob in a laundry?

I am doing a reno and didn't know that the original laundry cabinet and sink cabinet sat on brick, then the brick tiled over.

I have removed the cabinets, but the new ones will be too high if placed onto the original brick.

Can I remove the bricks and have the cabinets (as in a kitchen) on legs and have a plinth instead of tiles.

I read the building code and it just refers to walls to be water tight to 150mm, but not sure of that includes cabinets too 

Thankslaundry1.jpglaundry2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do I need to have a brick hob in a laundry?

Hello @juliewheelhouse 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your laundry.

The brick hob can be removed as the new cabinets have legs to set them at the correct height. However, I suggest checking the rules and regulations of your local council regarding waterproofing. Please note that the application of waterproofing must be carried out by a trained and certified professional for safety and compliance.

The sequence would be that the waterproofing would be laid out first, followed by the tiles and then the cabinets go on top. Please note that your tiled floor might need to be removed as the water proofing needs to be applied as a single unbroken membrane. Please consult with your waterproofing agent.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you waterproof a laundry?

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects