Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you spray paint tiles?

CluelessCreativ
Community Newcomer

Can you spray paint tiles?

Hey Team,

I'm looking for some advice as I'm planning on painting my shower tiles. 

I've read all the info/tutorials/advice on this site that I can find and I think I've got the process straight in my head. 

My question is - it's only 2 x 10cm x 180cm strips.  Is there a spray paint alternative to buying a whole litre can of tile paint? I've done a some research and there's suggestions that epoxy enamel can be used on tiles (? Eek.?). So for example, could Dulux Metalsheild be used if the tile is prepped and primed correctly?

Thanks in advance!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you spray paint tiles?

Hello @CluelessCreativ 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about spray painting tiles.

I understand that you're looking for an easy spray solution to painting your tiles, but the products that you can use are very specific. Although some paint products are capable of going onto tiled surfaces they are often categorized as a multipurpose product and not specifically geared towards tiled surfaces.

In regards to the type of paint, the Dulux Metalsheild is specifically designed to be used on steel surfaces so I don't think it will work on tiled surfaces. I propose using Dulux 1L PRECISION White Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer and Dulux 500ml Vivid White Aquanamel Gloss Interior Exterior Paint for the topcoat. These would be the smallest quantity you can purchase and both products can be used on other projects other than tiled surfaces. 

Please note that the tile must be prepared properly before you paint the surface. Make sure to give the primer enough time to cure before applying the topcoat. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint bathroom tiles

Please don't forget to wear appropriate personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint rated mask.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Can you spray paint tiles?

Thanks, Eric! I was meaning is there any aerosol spray paint, as opposed to a paint gun, that will adhere to tiles as I just don't want to buy a huge amount of paint for such a small area... thanks for the suggestion of the Aquanamel - will look into it!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects