Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you get a shower head that filters hard water?

Newbie-
Growing in Experience

Can you get a shower head that filters hard water?

Hello,

We are looking to upgrade our shower head. I’m keen to get one that filters the water because the current shower head has lots of calcification around it which I’m assuming is from hard water?

We wonder though if having some kind of filter will restrict the water flow? The bathroom is upstairs and the hot water pressure is really weak already.

Any suggestions?

PlumbMaster-Zee
Building a Reputation

Re: New shower head

Hi there,

If you're looking to upgrade your shower head and address issues related to calcification and hard water, here are some suggestions:

1. Filtered Shower Heads: A filtered shower head can help reduce the buildup of calcium and other minerals from hard water. Look for a shower head with a built-in filter designed to remove these impurities.

2. Low-Flow Options: If water pressure is a concern, choose a shower head that is designed to maintain good pressure even with filtration. Some filtered shower heads are specifically engineered to enhance water flow while still providing filtration.

3. Product Recommendation: Consider the "AquaEarth 15 Stage Shower Filter" available online or the “quoss universal chlorine filter” available on Bunnings marketplace, both will effectively filters out impurities and maintains water pressure, making it ideal for homes with hard water.

4. Maintenance: Regularly clean and replace the filters as recommended by the manufacturer to ensure optimal performance and longevity of the shower head.

By upgrading to a filtered shower head, you can enjoy cleaner water and reduce the calcification buildup without compromising on water pressure.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask.

Best,
Zee

Re: New shower head

Hi @Newbie-,

Thank you for your question about filtered shower heads.

It's great to see you've received some comprehensive advice from @PlumbMaster-Zee.

I'm wondering how long it has taken for the calcification to occur. 

It's fairly common for this to happen, but I'd be concerned that you would spend the money to replace the shower head with one that is filtered, just for the filter to block up and need to be replaced quite frequently.

The cost to replace a filter every few months would be far greater than the cost to clean your shower head every few months. My suggestion would be to monitor the calcification and clean your existing showerhead every few months with cleaning vinegar or CLR.

You might like to check out How do you clean water scale from a shower head for some guidance. 

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects