Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Budget laundry and toilet reno suggestions needed

projectmumdanni
Making a Splash

Budget laundry and toilet reno suggestions needed

Hi community..just wondering what would you do this area on a budget? The door to the left is the toilet and the laundry is that lovely yellow room. There is a window to the right wall of photo and it is also the first room you walk into when you enter. I love modern farmhouse, but also love modern contemporary. With this space being where you walk into when you come..I want to walk in and sit down, take my work shoes off and hang my lunch bag and then enter the rest of house 🙏 I love black white wood concrete. We did want to move the front door to centralise so you could walk straight in, but that is not an option as we could not be bothered doing that work if I'm to be honest. We just want to work with what we have now :smile: I do have a dryer out on our deck to bring in also, it's most likely cheaper to put next to washing machine then to put on top of bench.

image10.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Budget laundry and toilet reno suggestions needed

Afternoon @projectmumdanni 

What is on the wall/area from the photographers point of view? And is it just a normal door to walk in next tothe photographer?

Also how big is the window to the right, as in how much wall space is left?

It sounds like an interesting pallet to work with :smile:

Just a thought, is that tall cupboard that looks built into the cornice carry services?

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: budget laundry / toilet reno suggestions

Hello @projectmumdanni 

Thanks for sharing your question about your laundry and toilet revamp. Would it be possible for you to take a photo of the other wall. Can you please stand in front of your washing machine and take a photo of the other side of the room. In this manner we'll have a very good idea of what the walls of laundry look like. If there is enough space, it might be possible to build a small sit-down area where you can relax and take your shoes off. Perhaps a spot to hang coats and shelves for shoes.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: 10 practical mud room storage projects

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Garage mud room build using Flexi Storage by @HousevsSarah 

As soon as we see the photos of the other side, we'll be able to offer recommendations on how to revamp your laundry.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @projectmumdanni 

as with @EricL it would help to get a few more photos from the other angles with maybe some notes to get a better understanding. With regards to the dryer, you could simply mount it to the wall above the bench to retain the space. Brackets are available to suit most models and cheap and easy to install.

Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-08-27 at 9.16.37 PM.png

Hi Nailbag, thanks for your reply, we still have the brackets sold with the dryer and were going to do this option, just wondering how it would look if just it on the wall next to broom cupboard or should put some upper cabinets or open shelving?

Re: budget laundry / toilet reno suggestions

Thanks Eric, here are some pics i took early this morning.  Sorry about the darkness and uncleanliness as we have stalled  the progress in this area as we need to pull up the tiling and lay our vinyl planks throughout rest of house and we have fog again. The window is 1200x1200 i think.1000072149.jpg

1000072150.jpg

1000072151.jpg

  

1000072152.jpg

1000072153.jpg

  

1000072154.jpg

Hi Dave, thanks for your response. Window is 1200x1200 I think and I think the cornice has been made to look like it's built in as kitchen cabinets are same.

20240828_060249.jpg

1000072154.jpg

1000072153.jpg

  

1000072150.jpg

Thank you for the pics  :smile: @projectmumdanni 

Just going over some ideas in my head. :smile: Are you going to cahnge the cabinetry in the room btw?

Dave

Hi @projectmumdanni,

I can see you want to work with what you have, but did you consider installing a partition wall and a cavity slider to isolate the laundry from the entrance? That would allow you to create a functional laundry without worrying about it also conforming to entrance standards. 

It's great to see you've started on the painting. A more neutral colour will suit your farmhouse aesthetic far better. It might be worth seeing where you could bring some VJ panelling in. Perhaps on the left as you walk in and the small walls around the laundry. Capping it with a Colonial moulding would look nice. 

Redoing the splashback in another tile style, such as the Decor8 254 x 304mm Cascade Bianco Carrara Mosaic Tile, would really add some interest.

The cabinetry colour might clash somewhat with your new design, so you could consider replacing the doors with Kaboodle heritage doors and new handles.

To make the dryer installation seamless, I'd recommend building it in with cabinetry instead of just mounting it on the wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @projectmumdanni 

Some ideas I have been mulling over...

- Changing the size of the skirting boards plus door and window trim. It will make it a lot more modern and is resonable easy to do especially if you are working on the floor anyway.

- A bench seat with a high box (on the right hand side) under the 1200mm wide window and yto the door frame. The high box will be next to the door to store things like the ironing board ect.

- Across the window a heavy duty rail around 4/5ths up the window (Kind of like a pelmet so brackets would be needed). This is to hang clothes, jackets, raincoats on.

- More work involved but may be do-able For the toilet and the doorway to it could you remove the wall opposite where the toilet would be and change it to a door? That way you could cover up the wall in the laundry and make more space to sit when walking in and taking boots ect off. As in another Bench seat.  

- With the walls maybe something like this Board and batten feature walls by @Tinker_Bell  with trim added to make it look elegant.

- Lighting, always something I tend to forget until later but itchanges the rooms whole feel depending on how warm or cool the light is. Maybe a fancier style light as its your entry into the house.

- I was looking for a project on bench seats in a foyer butcant find it. Maybe one of theother members know it. The project showcase a bench seat with storage under itand paneling behind plus overhead storage. I fyoumanage to switch that door around then that wall could be used for that.

- Dryer, I like your idea of under the bench but not sure about if you are wanting tomove the existing bench around or replace it. Sliding doors on a new set of cupboards would be a space saver and give easier access to them.

Not the project I was originally looking for but has loads of ideas as a change room. Farmhouse mudroom and laundry makeover by @Natalya 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects