Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bracket required for towel rack

Rans0000
Just Starting Out

Bracket required for towel rack

Bracket.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Bracket required for towel rack

A remarkable coincidence @Rans0000  - but I was making a somewhat similar looking bracket outta steel last week. If you cannot source another plastic (looks like plastic above) one would you be interested in steel? Is there a cover that goes over the mounting bracket before you screw that bolted section into place?

Cheers.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Rans0000 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your towel rack. 

Would you happen to remember the brand and model of your towel rack? If you can, we could try to track down a spare part or perhaps a compatible piece. At this point, I've not seen a bracket of this type at the store. 

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rans0000
Just Starting Out

Sorry Eric I don’t know the brand. It would have been installed around 30years ago. The distance between the 2 brackets is 30”.

John A

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Rans0000 

Thanks for that extra information regarding your towel rack. If that's the case, I can only suggest replacing your towel rail with a similar looking one such as the Mondella 62cm Chrome Plated Maestro Double Towel Bar - Chrome 62cm, the Fusion-Loc 80cm 26kg Stainless Steel Double Towel Rail and the Mondella 90cm Cadenza Double Towel Bar.

I propose visiting your local store and proceeding to the shower and bathrooms accessories aisle to match up the length of your old towel rack. 

However, if you really want to rebuild your plastic towel rack holder, I propose looking into 3D printing.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Noyade,

Thanks for you reply, the unit that I have is plastic (the one that I want to replace was same but black it has broken into small pieces) The rear of it has a space to insert small nut. There is a cover - See attached photos.

Bracket 3 pieces.jpgBracket Assembled.jpgBracket Measure.jpgBracket Rear.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon/Evening @Rans0000 

I'm keen to try making one - but we will need more dimensions and they need to be accurate. Do you know the thread size?

I would ditch the four fillets since this will be steel.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

20240718_161626.jpg

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Rans0000 , a quick chime in... I suggest that if you have the original broken mounting piece or at least the nut from it, then you could send it to @Noyade so he can use it to make up a new mount. If you don't have the nut, you could take the unit to a hardware shop and buy a suitable size nut to send to him. That way it will be right.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Rans0000 

If you're still interested in a replacement - please let me know.

Amazingly I have found 38mm diameter washers with a chrome covering which would be perfect.

Playing outside just now (before the rain) with M8 nuts (assuming your bolt is M8) I found 16mm diameter pipe that a bench-ground M8 nut is then 'sledge-hammered' into position. That nut isn't going anywhere and therefore doesn't need welding.

Cut to the right length this is then welded to the washer - and instant bracket.

Just need a few more dimensions.

Cheers.

20240721_142030.jpg

20240721_142041.jpg

20240721_142606.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

20240724_114303.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects