Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an outdoor storage container?

arohar
Just Starting Out

How to build an outdoor storage container?

I need to build a outdoor storage container what wood should i use?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build an outdoor storage container?

Hello @arohar 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about how to build an outdoor storage container.

Can you please tell us the size of the container? Will the container be exposed to full rain and sunshine, or will it be partially under cover? If it is going to be out in the weather, I suggest using 2440 x 1220mm 9mm Plywood Hardwood Marine AA Grade. For extra protection, I suggest painting the plywood inside and out.

Another method is to build a frame from 70 x 35mm Outdoor Framing H3 Treated Pine - 2.4m and covering it with 

SpecRite 90 x 19mm Merbau Pre-Oiled Decking. This entire setup is capable of withstanding full weather exposure.

Depending on how protected you want the inside of the container to be, it's possible to line the inside with BGC Durasheet 1800 x 1200 x 4.5mm Fibre Cement Cladding 2.16sqm and adding silicone to the joints providing you with a moisture tight seal.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects