Workshop
Ask a question

How to remove putty mark on timber floor?

Vegemite
Finding My Feet

How to remove putty mark on timber floor?

IMG_9854.jpeg

hi Bunnings team,

We have sanded the floor. 
put in putty before the final 120 grit. Left to cure over night.

However, we cannot remove the line of the putty residue with an orbital floor sandee 120 grit the next day. And now we are ended up with stripes across the floor.

used timbermate wood filler

tried damp rag, turp nothing works

please help.

thank you very much

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove putty mark on timber floor?

Hi @Vegemite,

I'm sorry to hear you experienced issues with applying timber filler. Would it be possible to get a clearer image of the room and then some closer images of a filled area?

I note these are very straight lines that span across the room, so unless they are nail holes that span across the room in a straight line that you've filled, I'm not sure how that effect is manifesting. Perhaps some better images will help with diagnosis.

Are the marks only at the ends of boards that have been nailed down and holes filled, or is the putty residue spread onto the adjacent boards, too?

From a visual perspective, these lines appear like areas that have been sanded to a different height from the surrounding boards. After filling and sanding the areas, did you re-sand the entire floor or just the areas where the filler was? 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects