Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What fixings can be used for James Hardie Linear Board?

zb96
Community Newcomer

What fixings can be used for James Hardie Linear Board?

I am looking to replace the cladding on my house from 1985. I have had it confirmed that there is no asbestos. Reviewing the James Hardie Specification I have two questions regarding fixings for the external / internal corners and the boards:

1. The specifications notes 'Fix box corner with 40mm fiber cement nails in indentation provided at 400mm vertical centers'. Is there an alternative screw that can be used? or nail for nail gun that can be used instead?

This is required as I am concerned that if hand nailing these corners onto the studs, the fixings for the plasterboard will pull though. This has occurred in a similar scenario for me when installing villa board backing onto plasterboard. 

2. Similar to the above, I am planning on conceal nailing the board. Am I able to use the nail it suggests for face nailing as a concealed nail (60 x 3.15 bullet head nail).  I cannot see this being an issue but thought I'd ask. Can you suggest a product in bunnings for a 30-34 degree nail gun?

zb96_0-1727133817851.png

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What fixings can be used for James Hardie Linear Board?

Hi @zb96,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

I have spoken with James Hardies' technical team who have advised that you have to follow the installation guide exactly for the installation to be warrantable. The system has been designed and tested using the methods and hardware that they recommend in this guide.

Unfortunately, this means you will need to hand nail everything using 40 x 2.8mm Galvanised Fibre Cement Nails. There is no alternative screw that can be used for the type of installation that you will be carrying out.

1. The part you are referring to is about nailing the Linea Aluminium External Slimline Boxed Corners to the studs. These are aluminium trims that would be nearly impossible for a nail to pull through. You can predrill the aluminium and then drive the nail through the trim to make your life a bit easier.

2. You will have to use the 40 x 2.8mm Galvanised Fibre Cement Nails to install Linea Weatherboard using the concealed fixing method. This is because the bullet headnails will not sit flush with the face of the weatherboard and will consequently change the angle of the weatherboards. If you were to use the face-nailing method, unfortunately, James Hardie has advised that there is no nail gun-compatible nail that can be used in a warrantable installation.

I understand it is frustrating, but the system has been designed and tested with very specific installation methods that need to be followed. If you have concerns, it may be worth contacting a suitably licenced carpenter for their assistance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects