Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What drill for drilling into internal brick walls?

ayoung70
Just Starting Out

What drill for drilling into internal brick walls?

HI all,

After some advice, new (old townhouse) had internal brick walls.  I'll be hanging lots of storage in internal garage, and also some framing to add some vj panelling inside etc as well as other odds and sods.

Competent beginner - but have trouble getting through into brick in the past.

What's the right drill balancing grunt, reliability, battery power or corded? and last of all weight - I need to be realistic about my wrist upper body strength and not attempting to hold something steady and straight up too high !  or I get the wanders and much larger holes than I need LOL

Do already have some ozito and ryobi batteries in my kit - but wondering if I should go corded if this type of work - assuming I need a drill with a hammer function?

Thanks in advance.

Adele 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What drill for drilling into internal brick walls? Female wrist strength so weight a factor

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ayoung70. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about drill selection.

You might like to have a quick read through these helpful guides: How to choose the right drill for the job and How to choose the right drill bit for the job.

You could go for an all-in-one Ryobi 18V ONE+ HP Brushless Compact Hammer Drill, which is lightweight and capable of drilling holes in masonry whilst also being a great general-purpose drill for screws and holes in timber and steel. If you already have a non-hammer cordless drill driver, I recommend picking up a budget-friendly 240V hammer drill like the Ozito 710W Hammer Drill. It will be more proficient at drilling holes in masonry than a cordless hammer-function drill driver, but it is a heavier unit. It will drill holes in masonry around twice as fast as a battery-powered unit, so it would be the way to go if you have quite a few holes to drill in a row; if it's just a hole here and there every so often, I think the Ryobi compact hammer drill is a good option.

Remember your PPE when drilling holes in masonry, including a face mask and safety glasses. Also, be mindful of where you are drilling and ensure no electrical cables or pipes run through the wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects