Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Vinyl flooring installation

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Vinyl flooring installation

In the vast landscape of home improvement, few decisions spark more debate than whether to tackle a project yourself or call in the professionals. Among these heated discussions, flooring projects are a standout. Let's be honest, the floors in a place are more than just walking surfaces; they define the whole look and feel. And if you're someone who enjoys getting hands-on with projects, like myself, the temptation to tackle a flooring job yourself can be strong. But after careful consideration, I decided to go with a professional. Why? Here’s a deep dive into the great flooring face-off: to DIY or hire a pro?

The BeforeThe Before

Backstory: 

We bought our home some years ago, and the advertisement proudly featured "new carpets." Initially, we were thrilled with the fresh, clean appearance. However, the passage of time, along with the presence of our indoor Rottweilers and a baby, took its toll on the carpet in the primary living area. It began to emit unpleasant odours, fade, and overall look quite nasty. We reached the point where it was clear that the carpet had to go.

Once we started tearing up the carpet, we discovered that it had been a DIY job by the previous owner. There had been no preparation, and the installation standards were abysmal. The subfloor was uneven, there were remnants of old adhesive and debris, and the carpet had been poorly secured, leading to uneven wear and tear. This discovery underscored the importance of proper installation techniques and the pitfalls of cutting corners in home improvement projects.

The CulpritsThe Culprits

The Project: 

The initial appeal of DIY flooring is the potential cost savings. You're skipping professional installation fees, a big part of the bill. The main expenses for a DIY project are materials, tools, and effort. While materials and tools are easy to understand, effort is often downplayed. DIY flooring can be very time-consuming, especially for beginners. Every step, from research and gathering supplies to removing old flooring, prepping the subfloor, and installing the new floor, can eat up a lot of time.

People who do this for a living have a head start. They've tackled similar challenges before. They've got the right tools and know-how to get things done quickly, saving you a bunch of time and hassle. What might feel like climbing a mountain for you, could be a well-worn path for a pro.

440805513_702588855206395_3990617958169283458_n.jpg

While do-it-yourself projects can be very fulfilling, there's a significant learning curve involved. Video instruction sources may not replace the practical knowledge that experienced craftspeople possess. They understand the intricacies of various floor materials, along with the most suitable installation methods and how to resolve problems quickly. Mistakes and repairs from earlier poor work can be expensive and inconvenient to address. For instance, poorly laid flooring can result in uneven surfaces, gaps, or warping, particularly around corners. These problems not only affect the visual appeal but can also shorten the lifespan of your floor. In contrast, a floor installed by a professional is typically free of defects and long-lasting, thanks to the installer's knowledge and skill.

Consider the tools required for a flooring project. Sometimes, getting started with fixing things yourself requires acquiring some special equipment. This equipment can vary depending on the project, and some of it might not be needed again for a while. The initial investment can add up, and there's also a bit of a learning process involved in using the equipment effectively. Professionals come equipped with all the necessary tools and the know-how to use them effectively, and I would argue this saves you money. For us, it was the the machine used to demolish tiles quickly and then polish the floor for the entirety of the house. 

437613033_420119370727857_5025034126920986298_n.jpg

Prepping the subfloor is the groundwork for everything, and if you don't do it right, the whole project could suffer. You might have to rip out old flooring, clean everything up real good, make sure it's level, and even deal with any moisture problems. is a crucial step that can determine the success of your installation. For someone without experience, this prep work can be daunting and easy to get wrong. A professional will have the expertise to prepare the subfloor properly, ensuring a smooth and long-lasting installation. In our case, after removing and smoothing all the tiles, we still needed some sections to be levelled out and eventually sealed over. By the end of day 1, our floors looked like this: 

439695963_890940079454377_1632536237173695778_n.jpg

Hardwood, laminate, vinyl, hybrid and tile all have different characteristics to consider. Here, I am moving away from Tiles / Carpet to Vinyl, we had previously decided to install Hybrid, however with several family members highlighting how difficult it was to repair and maintain (and if you haven't levelled your floors with laminate or Hybrid, you'll feel it), Hybrid floors, we opted for Vinyl. Also consider the feel of the floor, ours is textured, but that might not be something you would want to walk barefeet on. 

Consider the warranty implications. Many flooring manufacturers offer warranties on their products, but these warranties often come with a stipulation that the flooring must be installed by a certified professional, this was an issue for a friend up here in QLD where his DIY job (which was great) made it impossible for him to collect on a warranty he thought he was fine for. If you decide to DIY and something goes wrong, you may find yourself without recourse. For us, we have a 25 year guarentee, warranty and promise of repair for a range of issues that can come up throughout its lifetime. 

437510321_458088250216309_5989790355672201770_n.jpg

The satisfaction of completing a DIY project is undeniable. EVERYONE in the Bunnings workshop community knows it. There’s a unique joy in admiring a job you've completed with your own hands. However, this satisfaction can quickly turn to frustration if the end result isn’t up to par. Flooring is a major component of your home’s interior, and any imperfections will be glaringly obvious. 

As a DIY enthusiast, the allure of tackling a flooring project myself was strong. The potential cost savings and the satisfaction of a job well done are compelling reasons to go the DIY route. However, the complexity, time commitment, and potential for mistakes, I couldn't ignore it. Hiring a professional, while more expensive upfront, offered too many advantages: expert installation, efficient completion, and a high-quality finish. For the people we hired, they even allowed me to observe their work and how to do things to their standard (and what materials they use), so I was able to learn at least something from this.

816fe3a9-bc2e-437a-a82d-b70de7b05cc7.jpg

Ultimately, the decision comes down to your personal circumstances, skills, and priorities.

For those who relish the challenge and have the time, patience, and willingness to learn, a DIY flooring project can be a rewarding endeavour. However, for those who prefer to avoid the risk of costly mistakes and value their time and peace of mind, hiring a professional is often the better choice. In a day and a half, and for a total of $5k, the entirety of our floors were done. All the debris and old carpet was removed, saving us several trips to the dump. We also took the oppurtunity later on to redo all of our skirting to a more modern style. 

This was how I approached it, and I hope it somewhat helps you make the best choice for your home and your lifestyle.

437767838_403771162578943_8658943919195776154_n.jpg

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: To DIY Floors or Hire a Professional? The Great Flooring Face-off.

Hello @Remarka6le 

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on whether doing your own flooring or having it done professionally.

I agree that there are a great deal of factors to take into consideration. But for me the number one factor would be time. If I were to redo my own flooring it would definitely take more than a weekend, not if I wanted it to be perfect and long lasting.  

But I agree with your conclusion, personal circumstances, skills and priorities will be the factors that will determine your decision.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with our members.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: To DIY Floors or Hire a Professional? The Great Flooring Face-off.

Hey @EricL , 

With a young child and busy work schedules, minimising disruption at home was a major priority for us. During the initial consultation, when we were discussing materials and finding the perfect match to our table top, we expressed our concern about a lengthy installation process. We simply couldn't handle a long construction period. Hearing the reassurance that the installation could be completed in under two days was a game-changer. It meant minimal disruption to our daily routine and less stress for everyone involved, especially our little one.

I'm not looking to put people off of a DIY floor Reno, but as someone who has undertaken quite a few at this stage (even a kitchen renovation), floors were something we didn't want to mess up, and I hope it'll help anyone coming to this forum in the future. 

Regards,

Remarka6le

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects