Workshop
Ask a question

Vintage wardrobe upcycle

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

Vintage wardrobe upcycle

This amazing piece had been sitting under someones house for nearly 40 years. It had been her grandfathers wardrobe previously and she had plans for it but it never happened so they decided to find a new home! I couldn't believe my luck. I have recently opened a new business and this would be perfect for my candle supplies and how gorgeous is it.

Full video here

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8v2DlVvpkT/?igsh=czRkMzExMXgwazl4

IMG_8621.pngIMG_8628_jpg.JPGIMG_0133.jpgIMG_9691.JPG

Claire 

TT

IG 

Blog

Materials

• Sanding pads for electric sander
  • Sanding blocks fine and course
  • Paint Brush
  • Paint Tray
  • Drop Cloth
  • Chalk Paint
  • Furniture Wax

Tools

Orbital Sander

Steps

Step 1

Sanding

This wardrobe was in need of a good sand, the varnish had bubbled and had left a rough textured finish which I wanted to smooth out. I ran a sanding block over the inside to smooth any wood.

IMG_8635_jpg 2.JPGIMG_8639_jpg.JPG

Step 2

Cleaning

I gave the outide and inside a clean with a damp cloth and sugar soap.

IMG_8640_jpg.JPG

Step 3

Paint

I applied 2 coats of chalk paint to the exterior of the cabinet and the door. I used a brush to apply but you could also use a small roller.

IMG_9805.JPG

Step 4

Distress

Once the paint had dried I used a course sanding block and scuff sanded the edges and grooves to create a distressed look.IMG_9804.JPG

Step 5

Wax and Polish

To finish and protect the paint I applied a furniture wax to the exterior and the interior, which conditioned the wood and gave it a new lease of life.

IMG_8741_jpg.JPG

Step 6

IMG_9691.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Vintage Wardrobe Upcycle

Hello @Renowayoflife 

Thank you for sharing the details of your wardrobe upcycling project. Congratulations on your new business! The cabinet looks fantastic. That furniture wax will definitely extend the life of cabinet. It's great to see this cabinet get a second life.

Again, thanks for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Vintage Wardrobe Upcycle

Thanks @EricL it was a fun project and I'm loving how it turned out.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects