Workshop
Ask a question

How to repaint gutter and fascia?

Will01
Growing in Experience

How to repaint gutter and fascia?

Hi, is anyone able to give me the steps to removing old paint through to repainting my metal gutter and wood fascias? Many thanks in advance!

IMG_1688.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repaint Gutter & Fascia

Hello @Will01 

Thanks for sharing your question about your gutter and fascia. The first thing I suggest is to examine the current state of your gutter and fascia. Are there parts that have rusted and rotted, can it still be repaired? Is the gutter still functional, does it have large holes in it that allows water to leak through?

Is the fascia still in good condition, are there parts of it that has deteriorated? These are some of the things you'll need to look out for and repair before you decide to paint them. 

Generally, the process will take a combination of sanding and scrapping. I suggest using a UNi-PRO 50mm Real Good Paint Scraper along with an electric sander. Your goal is to sand off as much of the paint as possible on your gutter and fascia. Once you've removed as much paint as you can, wipe and brush off all the sanding dust.

I then suggest using Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 4L to prime both the gutter and the fascia. For the topcoat I recommend using Dulux 4L Vivid White Low Sheen Weathershield Exterior Paint tinted to your preferred colour.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Will01
Growing in Experience

Re: Repaint Gutter & Fascia

Thanks very much for your reply and advice - really appreciate it!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects