Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair legs on rattan furniture?

DIYhackjob
Just Starting Out

How to repair legs on rattan furniture?

LOUNGE 1 - weak legLOUNGE 1 - weak legLOUNGE 2 - broken & splitLOUNGE 2 - broken & splitLOUNGE 2 - close upLOUNGE 2 - close upLounge 2a - Close up on splitLounge 2a - Close up on splitLounge 2a - close up on splitLounge 2a - close up on splitLounge 2b - frankenstein repair on weak leg 2Lounge 2b - frankenstein repair on weak leg 2Lounge 2b - OverallLounge 2b - OverallLounge 1 - OverallLounge 1 - OverallHello! This is my first furniture upcycle project, pair of old rattan lounges that I picked up years ago, intending to restore.

I've started the cleaning process and have found advice on the binding repair, however I need help to repair the broken/damaged legs.

On Lounge 1, one leg is very weakened at a stress point, and the leg splays out backwards. 

On Lounge 2, there are 2 damaged legs.

Lounge 2a is the split, frayed and generally wrecked leg. The rusted nail in there had pulled away and split the cane. Our puppy added her extra touches.

Lounge 2b has had a frankenstein repair job to reinforce it. I'm pretty sure we can do better than this.

So my questions are:

Can I reinforce the weak legs using the dowel method I've seen online? I've seen it used for broken wooden chair legs that are separate from the seat. However this lounge has legs that are continuous with the back. 

How would I go about best fixing up the really busted up leg (Lounge 2a)?

I'm an absolute beginner so please be as specific and detailed as possible!

Thank you so much

By the way, it's just for my own learning not to try and create an 'as new' product. I'd like to use the couches on our covered patio, and make some cushions once they are safe to sit on and cleaned up.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair legs on rattan furniture?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DIYhackjob. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing rattan furniture.

Repairing rattan furniture legs for your first restoration project will certainly put your skills to the test. Rattan is a unique material that isn't typically repaired by the average DIYer at home. The construction and repair of rattan furniture is truly an art form that takes many years to master.

Given the damage, especially with the splits, the legs likely need to be replaced. After replacement, you can add rattan bindings to stiffen and reinforce them. Not only do they need to be replaced and rebound, but it appears that this was always going to be a failure point, and the original construction was insufficient.

While it's possible to improve on the current "Frankenstein repair," you will need to balance functionality with maintaining the natural look of the rattan. Reinforcement is necessary, but the challenge lies in keeping it similar in appearance to the rest of the construction.

While the dowel method works for broken wooden chair legs that are separate from the seat, it may not be the best solution for your rattan lounges, where the legs are continuous with the back. Instead, consider using rattan or cane strips to bind and reinforce the legs. This will help maintain the aesthetic while providing additional support. You might be able to include a steel round bar bent to the same shape as the leg within the binding, which should add support to the split and damaged legs.

Let me mention some of our talented members, @dave1, @Nailbag and @Noyade, to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to repair legs on rattan furniture?

Hi @DIYhackjob this is one of my pet hate repair projects. We haver gone through 3 expensive hanging chairs in an alfresco area that last about 18mths regardless of how much we take care of them. They are very difficult to repair as they are constructed using very fine brad nails, adhesives and a range of good and bad binding techniques.

As @MitchellMc highlighted, it's difficult to repair them without some Frankenstein result. My most successful is to use thin beads of liquid nails along the joints, then re-wrap the areas with Rattan twine (available online). It's very expensive, but the only product thats going to blend in. Re-coat the chair/s with a clear outdoor furniture varnish and avoid  the chairs getting wet. Fitting plastic nail on chair tips helps with lower let moisture by keeping them off the ground.

Regards, nailabg.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects