Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare wall for repainting?

Jams
Just Starting Out

How to prepare wall for repainting?

I have recently bought a new house and the previous owners installed some cheap-looking wood planks that I have removed from the wall. However, removing these pulled up the whole layer of paint, revealing a slightly fibrous underlayer in the plasterboard.

1000003834.jpg

It would be great to get some help on how to get this wall ready for a repaint. Any and all tips are welcome, as I am quite the newbie!

Thanks in advance!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Prepping Wall For Repaint

Hi @Jams,

Thank you for your question about prepping a wall for painting.

I'd suggest you start by removing any flaky paint that is not well adhered to the surface below. This can be done with a Craftright 100mm Joint Knife.

Once the paint has been removed, you'll need to apply a coat of plaster topping compound to the low spots between the old paint to make the surface even. I'd suggest using Gyprock CSR 20kg Jointmaster Topping Compound for this. 

You might like to have a look at How To Patch Plaster for some guidance. The application is much smaller, but the principles remain the same.

Once the plaster has dried, you'll need to sand the whole wall using a Rocket 230mm Giant Sanding Tool to ensure a nice smooth surface.

Once the wall is sanded, you'll need to apply a high-quality primer such as this Zinsser 946ml B-I-N Primer Sealer Stain Killer before painting over the top with your chosen interior paint.

You might also like to have a look at How to paint like a professional for some tips to achieve the best result when painting.

Let me know if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to assist further if required.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects