Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix wear on laminate floor?

dtj1988
Just Starting Out

How to fix wear on laminate floor?

Hello,

I have noticed what looks like a friction point mark on my laminate flooring and have tried everything to try and get rid of it but can’t. 

I am wondering if there is any way I can get rid of it. Thanks.

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix wear on laminate floor?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dtj1988. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about marks on laminate flooring.

Would you be able to take a closer image of the issue? Are they rough or smooth? If these are friction burn marks, then that would be damage to the surface, and there likely isn't much you can do about that. 

Is it those two darker marks above the lower timber knot? From this angle, they all look to be part of the design, but I'm sure there is some reason you've detected to suspect otherwise.

Could you also let us know what you've tried so far?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks heaps for the reply.

With regard to the image, the friction point is the lighter mark on the floorboard, in the middle of the image. I tried to get a good image but the best I could get.

It has more of a smooth edge. I believe it may have been caused by some minor form of friction but haven't been able to get rid of it. 

I have tried water and vinegar, dishwashing soap, baking soda and magic eraser. Still no luck.

Could you suggest other things? I hear WD-40 could work but don't want to try any other things as of yet. 

Thanks heaps! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dtj1988,

Ok, I see it now; I thought that might just be a reflection. So, that looks to me like a wear mark. Something has worn through the timber picture on your laminate, and now the white substrate underneath the picture is being exposed. Once again, there's not much you can do about that. What you don't want to do is use more cleaning products on it as it's not a mark on the surface that can be removed; it's wear on the floor. By using abrasive products like magic erasers or baking soda, you'll make the issue worse. Magic erasers are essentially very fine sandpaper, and they clean with an abrasive action. They will remove more of the picture and expose more white.

You could consider using carefully selected coloured markers to colour the area back in. You need to take your time, use multiple shades of grey and light brown, and try to mimic the surrounding image. Waxstix might help, but they are designed for porous timber.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects