Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix water hammer?

Bob9
Growing in Experience

How to fix water hammer?

Ive got banging noises when I open and close most of the taps in my 2 story house. I believe that the closing tap noise is generally thought to be water hammer and that the opening tap noise is usually considered to be caused by air in the pipes.

Ive bought a few Surgex water hammer arresters from Bunnings but they don't seem to do much at all. The water company sent someone to check water pressure and he said its air in pipes so switch off water and run all taps to clear it.

Ive tried this a few times but still getting noises.

To fix air in the pipes, is there a proper order to open and close the taps when you've a 2 storey house and an evaporative air con unit  upstairs ? 

Thanks !

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Water hammer

Hello @Bob9 

Thanks for sharing your question about your plumbing in the house. If you have conducted an air flushing procedure and the hammering comes back after a few days, odds are there is a leak in your plumbing system. I propose trying to find out first if any of your taps are leaking and this includes your laundry and cistern taps.

My next suggestion is to install the following devices in your plumbing system. For your laundry set, I suggest putting in Sioux Chief 20mm Chrome A Size Wash / Dish Water Hammer Arrestor on the cold line of your washing machine. 

For the kitchen sink and bathroom taps, I recommend the Sioux Chief 15mm Size A Hydra-Rester Water Hammer Arrestor With Conetite Tee. Place the arresters on the cold line of those taps. 

Once the arresters are in place it should sort out your water hammering. Please note that the installation of the arresters must be done by a licensed plumber.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bob9
Growing in Experience

Thanks !

I was mostly wondering what the order was for getting rid of the air in the pipes. Once you've turned off the mains water and ran all the taps, are you meant to turn on the mains water with all taps on, and then close each tap starting with the one closest to the mains tap first *or* with the tap furthest away upstairs first ?

Cheers !

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Bob9 

That's exactly the sequence you should do. But my best advice is to have the rest of the family standing by on each tap so that they are all shut down quickly. In regards to distance or which one is turned off first it really does not matter. 

Eric

Bob9
Growing in Experience

Thanks, thats good advice about the family ! 

So, just checking, but the order is to close each tap starting with the one closest to the mains tap first ? (Just checking as I mentioned 2 orders before)

Thanks !

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bob9 

Yes, you can close the tap closest to the mains first. But remember to check the rest of the tapware for the next few days. If the hammer returns, then odds are there is a leak in your plumbing system.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects