Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix sliding door with no rollers?

monkeyspearfish
Growing in Experience

How to fix sliding door with no rollers?

IMG_8866.jpeg

IMG_8868.jpeg

IMG_8867.jpeg

   

Hi all

My sliding door is jamming and not opening and closing properly. I have to lift the door and slide it to open the door.

I took the door off for inspection and was suprised there were no rollers, only the track as seen in photo, is this normal?

Its a timber door.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix sliding door with no rollers?

Hi @monkeyspearfish,

It's possible that the system is designed not to use a roller, though that wouldn't be the smoothest door to open. Apart from applying some silicone spray to the contact points to provide lubrication, you'll need to check the frame and door for signs of contact and wear points. Over the years, the frame or door might have swollen or twisted and making it difficult to open. If there are any points that the door jambs on those might need to be sanded down.

When you lift the door to open it, is that just because the weight of the door is inhibiting it from opening, or does lifting it allow it to overcome a point that it's jamming on?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey Mitchelll

I don’t lift upwards to open. Lifting is probably the wrong word. I have to really use the power in my shoulders and push/pull the door, at the same time taking some weight off the tracks so it slides, otherwise it just jams and doesn’t open. The door is heavy and requires effort to open/close.

seems strange there’s no sign of any rollers. I didn’t know there were doors with no roller wheels, only a track?

Typically, doors do use rollers @monkeyspearfish. However, if there is no sign of them, then I could only assume it operates without them. Have you had a good look at the top and bottom of the door and track to ensure none were present that have desintergrated?

There isn't a rail at the top that has a roller carriage on it that might have come undone from the door?

Mitchell

I think there’s supposed to be rollers on top, see pic. That would explain the lack of rollers at the bottom. Any suggestions which roller would fit? Might be hard to tell from photo.

IMG_8869.jpeg

IMG_8870.jpeg

IMG_8871.jpeg

IMG_8872.jpeg

  

IMG_8873.jpeg

  

Hello @monkeyspearfish 

It's possible that at some point in the past your door might have had rollers and was not repaired or replaced when it came apart. I suggest having a quick look at the Cowdroy 915mm Single Door Top Fix Track. This will give you an idea of how the door could have been installed in the past.

However, before you buy new rollers, I suggest thinking about replacing the entire track. This will save you from having to look for compatible rollers and spare parts. A complete kit will guarantee that your door will operate properly. I propose engaging the services of a handy person that can reinstall your sliding door.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects