Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix plaster coming off interior brick wall?

iconex
Just Starting Out

How to fix plaster coming off interior brick wall?

Hi everyone,

I am wondering how to fix these damage bits of plaster coming off the wall in the two pictures below. 

the second picture is next to the entrance door way where high movement occurs, the plaster sounded loose so I started to remove it. 

i don’t think the spackling pre mix would do the job here so I’m wondering if the following solution could do the trick: 

brushing area back to the bricks,
applying a primer then under coat plaster and finish with skim coat? Or is it a bit overkill and a pre mix compound could suffice? So many products out there! 

IMG_2767.jpeg

IMG_6578.jpeg

 thank you for reading the post. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix plaster coming off interior brick wall?

Hi @iconex,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

It's a bit of a tricky spot because the door being hinged off that side of the jamb will put force on the frame that has likely caused the fracturing of the plaster. The issue with using a premixed compound is that they don't give as much strength as a powder base coat compound. The base coat dries chemically and gives the majority of the strength in plasterboard jointing systems.

To give the strongest fix to the gap near the door, you will need to follow a few steps to give it as much strength as possible.

It looks like you've removed the vast majority of the loose material near the door, but if there is any more that feels loose, remove it.

Apply a coat of Gyprock CSR Base Coat 45 to fill the gap. Make this coat flush with the existing plaster, then apply some Fibreglass Joint Tape once dry. 

Then apply another thin coat of base coat to encase the tape. This will give the join between the old plaster and the new plaster as much strength as possible. 

Once this second coat is dry, apply a skim coat of Gyprock Less Mess Topping Compound which can be feathered out thinly to smooth the transition to the other plaster.

When everything is dry, sand smooth with a Trojan 120 Grit Angled Sanding Sponge and then paint to match the surrounding plaster.

The process to fix the plaster above the air conditioner would be very similar, but depending on the extent of the damage, you may only need to remove the flaky paint, skim coat with the topping compound, and then sand and paint. 

Let me know if you have any further questions, I'm happy to assist further if required.

Jacob

iconex
Just Starting Out

Re: How to fix plaster coming off interior brick wall?

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for your time on replying to this, that sounds like a solid repair plan!

My only concern is that those products are indicated to work for drywall/gyprock wall whereas I have bricks behind the plaster - would that still work fine? 

Also it seems that only the skim coat came off, the base coat is still attached on the brick which doest leave me much room to apply base coat + skim coat on top - should I scrap it all off and grind back to the bricks? 

The area above the A/C seemed to have lost all layers of plasters though thumbnail_IMG_6606.jpg

Thanks in advance

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects