Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix bulge on wall?

Hayaimi
Getting Established

How to fix bulge on wall?

How can I make this bulge in the wall disappear and achieve a smooth finish in the least amount of time and at the lowest cost? 
I previously tried to patch this hole on the wall with Pfeiffer 15cm Plaster Repair Wall Patch and Selleys Spakfilla Rapid Dry. 
And in fear of the wall patch showing through the Spakfilla I overused the Spakfilla that created this bulge (which is around 18 x 19 CM x 4-5 MM thick). Is there a way that smooth the surface without showing the metal patch quickest and at lowest cost? 

IMG_2073.jpeg

IMG_2074.jpeg

IMG_2075.jpeg

IMG_2072.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fuxing bulge on wall

Hi @Hayaimi,

Thank you for your questions about reducing the bulge in your wall.

Plastering is a funny thing because you are aiming to keep things as smooth and imperceptible as possible, logically using less material would be the way to go, but oftentimes, the best way to do this isn't to use less plaster, but to use more.

Have a look near the end of the video in How To Attach And Plaster An External Angle. You'll notice that the plaster ends up being much wider than you would initially expect.

Using a patch like this Pfeiffer 15cm Plaster Repair Wall Patch is a great option, but the thickness of the patch will often show through the plaster. The way to reduce this hump is to apply plaster over a much wider area and feather it out so there is not an obvious change in depth on the wall.

My suggestion is to apply Gyprock CSR Less Mess Topping Compound over the top of the existing plaster and go much wider than you did before. Like the above video, you can use a Hyde 300 x 100mm Drywall Trowel to apply the topping compound, or you could use a Hyde 8" Plasterboard Joint Knife, which I find easier to control.

Once you've applied your topping compound, allow it to dry and then scrape it back with your trowel or joint knife as you see in the above video. Once scraped back, you can assess whether you're happy with the patch, or if you need another coat.

Once happy with the coverage, use a Trojan 120 Grit Angled Sanding Sponge to clean things up and then a Trojan 220 Grit Jumbo Angled Sanding Sponge to get it nice and smooth. You can then paint over the top.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Hayaimi
Getting Established

Thank You for the above information. 

So I don’t have to scrape off anything, just apply the toppings on top of the painted area? 
And around how large of an area should the topping cover? 
Are there more affordable alternatives of the products you mentioned? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Hayaimi,

If you are not confident in your ability to feather the topping compound out to lessen the change in depth from the hump, then it would be worthwhile to remove as much of the old filler as possible, but it is not 100% necessary. 

I don't have a specific size for how much area the topping compound should cover, but a patch that is roughly 60x60cm should be enough to feather it out enough so there is not an obvious hump.

I'm not aware of a cheaper alternative to the topping compound that would be advisable for this project. This Kango 200mm Taping Knife and this Trojan 280 x 130mm Plaster Float are slightly cheaper than the ones I have mentioned and will function much the same.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Hayaimi
Getting Established

Then which route (lessen the old filler or topping) would be less time consuming, more cost effective and easier for beginners? 
also I would like to know what tools would be fit for removing the old filler for beginners. Can I just do it by sanding? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects