Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut a straight line on acrylic sheet?

caitlinxo1
Finding My Feet

How to cut a straight line on acrylic sheet?

I’m wanting to use either a acrylic or pvc clear sheet to replace what once was glass, I just realistically can’t afford to have it replaced with glass atm but my question is, what tools would I need to make sure I cut the sheet in a completely straight line and without chipping it?

I know I’ll need some sort of silicone sealant once I do cut it to size for it to be in the frame securely but the cutting it part to get there is what I’m worried about 😅

I’m aware I’ll need a ruler and some sort of box knife or something of the sort I’m just looking for confirmation on the most affordable tools/names of what will be best 

TIA 😊

DIYGnome
Becoming a Leader

Re: what do i need to make sure im cutting a straight line?

Hello @caitlinxo1 welcome to the Workshop Community 🖐

Out of curiosity... how large is the area to be replaced?   

PVC sheeting is almost the same cost as glass in my local area and I just recently purchased "toughened glass" imported from Adelaide for the lower section of a sliding glass door and it only cost around $70-80, that said... I use a pair of saw horses, a pair of clamps and a piece of 4x2 wood to prevent cutting excess material a cutting guide if you will for saw or circular saw (PVC will require a hacksaw as powered saws generate heat). 

Prof
Amassing an Audience

Hi caitlinxo1..

I wouldn't advise you to try and cut acrylic or PVC yourself...Acrylic particularly  can crack or chip if not cut correctly...or with using the wrong tool..

I would suggest you go to a Plastics Company that can supply you with the right product and cut it for you..

Prof..

Hi,

it’s only about 30 odd cm wide and about 60 odd cm in length as I haven’t properly measured it yet only did a rough measure

thankyou for the advice I’ll take it on board :smile: 

I’ve been looking into videos of others doing it themselves using an acrylic sheet and also cutting it to size

its much cheaper to get a sheet that’s not cut to size compared to one that is as I’ve also looked into that aswell.

im really just wanting to put something there until i can afford otherwise 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @caitlinxo1. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cutting acrylic.

I presume you might be thinking of polycarbonate sheeting. As others have mentioned, it can be quite tricky to cut. It very much depends on what plastic sheeting you use. In the past, I've had some that would crack no matter how hard I tried. With our polycarbonate, I've had good success cutting it with a circular saw with the blade set to a depth that barely penetrated the back side. If the blade is extended out too far, it can catch the plastic and crack it. In saying that, though, cutting plastic sheets with a circular saw is not really a job for someone who doesn't already have experience with a circular saw. 

You can try scoring and snapping it with a retractable knife, or you might have more success with a score-and-snap knife. To help prevent cracking, score at least half the thickness of the sheet and have a straight edge clamped firmly on the line. Alternatively, you should be able to use a handsaw to cut the sheet, but you must keep it at a very shallow angle to the sheet when cutting.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects