Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add insulation under rafters?

samdyi
Just Starting Out

How to add insulation under rafters?

Hello, I'm considering insulating under the tiled roof (rafters). Attached are some pictures of what I'm aiming to achieve.
1. The roof is insulated with Ceiling Batts, but the tiles are not completely sealed from cold air, dust, and pests from outside.  I'm hoping that Foilboard might be the solution. Please advise if there are other options or if anyone here has done something similar.

c2e7cbc0-6448-587d-8c49-dbff2287a07e.jpeg856874de-b7a7-570d-b817-a69aa7fa939f.jpeg451267066_378034022058025_7725951674716806991_n.jpg451353862_378031055391655_7373535461315717671_n.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Rafter insulation

Hello @samdyi 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about insulating your roof.

Using Foilboard is a great way to insulate your tiled roof, the only other product that comes to mind is Ametalin 1500mm x 20m ThermalLiner Roof and Wall Shed Insulation. Both products provide insulation, but I believe that Foilboard is easier to install.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: Foilboard Roof Insulation

Just a friendly note to our NZ members: The use of foil insulation products is prohibited.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
samdyi
Just Starting Out

hello eric , this product has better R value , could i use this instead of others mentioned

https://www.bunnings.com.au/earthwool-space-blanket-r1-3-55mm-x-1200mm-x-15000mm-18m-insulation-meta...

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @samdyi,

I've been in touch with Knauf, the company who produce the space blanket, who've unfortunately told me that the space blanket is intended for use with metal roofs and is not suitable in a tiled roof application.

I've had a good look around and unfortunately the only product I can find that is suitable for this purpose is the aforementioned Foilboard or Ametalin ThermalLiner.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects