Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix front door misalignment at top?

Maxi
Just Starting Out

How to fix front door misalignment at top?

Hi all, how would I fix the top of the door sticking out not sitting flush with the aluminium frame?

Photo is of when door is fully closed.

Any ideas please

1000000944.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Front door sticks out on top

Hello @Maxi 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your front door.

Can you please tell us if your door is made of wood or aluminium? There could be a number of reasons your door has gone out of alignment such as the door warping or twisting if it was made of wood. The door could have twisted out of shape if something blocked it when being closed. The door frame could have gone out of alignment.

I suggest checking the door first to see if any part of it has come loose, including the hinges. I then recommend looking at your aluminium door frame and see if that has twisted or gone out alignment. Repairs like these are often a process of elimination.

Once you've eliminated a probable cause you then proceed to the next one until you discover what caused the door to go out of alignment. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Maxi as @EricL has mentioned it apprears something isn't square (door or frame). I can see the door is glazed so it will be a solid core, which is rare to see warped. Aluminium frames don't warp unless the fixings have changed. How long has the door been like this?

The first thing we need to establish what's out of whack, the door or the frame and then why? Ifs the frame is out we should be able to fix this. But if the door is warped, it can only be replaced.

Standing the door open, use a trusted straight edge like at least a 1200mm level  vertically and across and eye-ball its edge. You can also run the level plumb against the front or back face to check what that looks like?  Now do similar steps on the frame and note the results.

Once you have that info, get back to us for ideas on next steps. Suppling some additional full front and back photos will help.

regards, Nailbag

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Maxi 

Having a few looks at the door I agree with @EricL and @Nailbag's suggestions to move forward.

I do have a question tho :smile:

Is the door a sliding door? You say its in an aluminium frame and the only time I have seen that is for a sliding door.

Any chance of an overall photo or two of the door and the whole frame it sits in?

If its a sliding door then maybe a channel has moved or is out of place (depending on if it was flush until recently)

If its a swing door then I will wait for some more pics. I figure if its a swing door that has warped then that glass prob would have have a high chance to crack or break. Mmmm will wait for those pics :smile:

Dave

Maxi
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply, door is made of wood I also have check hinges and feel solid and screwed in securely.

Maxi
Just Starting Out

Thanks Nailbag,

We recently just moved in and didn't notice until now. I'll check with a straight edge on the weekend and get back to you.

Thanks

Maxi
Just Starting Out

Hi Dave,

It's a swing door, I'll post more pics of the door once I get home earlier on today.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We'll be keen to hear how you go with that straight edge @Maxi.

If the lower section of the door sits flush with the door jamb and the lock/handle still works, then it's quite peculiar that only the top would stick out like that.

Let us know how you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Maxi
Just Starting Out

1000000946.jpg

1000000947.jpg

1000000945.jpg

 here are some more pics

Maxi
Just Starting Out

1000000951.jpg

1000000950.jpg

  

1000000948.jpg

1000000954.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects