Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY toy car race track for kids

MarcL
Having an Impact

DIY toy car race track for kids

(Unfinished) race track for my kids. This is a temporary paint job, will look totally different when I finish.  Will be sure to update when it's done. Designed myself started from the top and worked down to test as I went, 2nd track designed after and around the 1st.

Materials: Mdf, pine, hard plastic sheeting, adhesive, pva glue, screws ect.

20220723_144411.jpg

20220723_145916.jpg

20220710_144952.jpg

20220710_090120.jpg

   

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Race track (unfinished)

What a super cool project, @MarcL! Your kids must be thrilled to have you as a Dad. It's really inspirational to see you taking the time to construct something as wonderful as this.

Can I ask how you're getting the MDF to conform so well to the track? Obviously, you've cut it out, but how are you doing the dips? Are you wetting it?

I'm really keen to see how this project turns out. I know my little man and daughter would love something like this.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc Thanks Mitchell, i just cut the shapes, screwed/glued them down to supports

where they needed to be held. It's flexed to its max in a few spots but no wetting it. Then add more supports as I go where needed. I will pva the whole thing from underneath when done, hoping that will really lock it up to hold its form for extra strength. I was surprised how much flex you could get out it.

20220724_123037.jpg

dabba
Finding My Feet

Looks amazing!! 
Any photos of the finished product?

what material did you use for the side walls?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dabba 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about the racetrack.

Let me tag @MarcL to make them aware of your questions. I totally agree it's an awesome project and it would be great to see what the finished product looks like. 

If you decide to make a similar project, please don't forget to post an update. I'm sure our members will be keen to see your version of the racetrack.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dabba
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric,

Most definitely will be starting something similar, I’ve been looking for a ‘wall race track’ idea like this for a while. 

I love the idea of using materials from Bunnings for a completely different purpose! 

I like the idea of the dips and peaks to take the speed of the cars.

MarcL
Having an Impact

Hi @dabba

Thankyou, I used 2mm plastic sheeting I had, I'm not sure what it's actually called though sorry. My advise if you want to make one with the dips and peaks is test it with multiple cars for speed and clearance as this took a lot of adjustments. I had to mount the track best I could and once side walls were on then could test, just screws  not glue to hold it so I could reposition where needed. :smile:

dabba
Finding My Feet

Sounds like a good approach, small steps for minor adjustment. 

Did you finish the project @MarcL?

MarcL
Having an Impact

@EricL @dabba 

Screenshot_2024-06-22-14-47-52-11_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Was going to add more shelves for cars and make them little garages, I also at some point had starting gates but removed them to tweak and never finished that either ha. Works great as is for my kids. I've moved onto other projects.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects