Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Advice about painting floor

sarahdee
Getting Established

Advice about painting floor

IMG_9535.jpeg

IMG_9537.jpeg

IMG_9539.jpeg

IMG_9538.jpeg

I’m looking for an affordable option for flooring for a hallway and 2 bedrooms. The carpet had to be pulled up in the hallway and then I tried to lay a floating floor (hybrid clip lock planks) but it was not great and had to be pulled up (the subfloor is not completely flat, the hallway has lots of nooks and doorways so cutting the planks to fit was a nightmare and ultimately the planks drifted apart). I’ve been putting off doing anything in there because I just can’t decide what to do plus I don’t have much money to put towards it.

Ultimately I’d like a Lino/vinyl to be installed, I like the look of a modern seamless light coloured floor in the style of a polished concrete, something like Senso sheet vinyl in Dune Grey but when I read the installation guide it says I can’t install it straight on the subfloor because vinyl will react with the chemicals the subfloor was treated with. So I’m thinking that I might just paint the floor instead.

For context:

- the subfloor is some sort of particle board

- its a bit wonky, too wonky to lay clip lock boards (like the hybrid planks)

- I can’t afford to pay someone else to install so it needs to be something I can DIY

- I’m not confident in pulling up the subfloor to replace so that it’s even enough to put a floating floor on

- I was going to put sheet vinyl down but now it looks like I’d have to put Masonite underlay or IBS hardboard down first (according to the product guide)

So my question is, can I paint the subfloor as a semi temporary option? If I can, then what things do I need to know? I’ve done some research and the general consensus seems to be to use an oil based paint but is there anything important I need to consider (other than the standard prep the area steps).

pics of subfloor attached for reference

Thanks! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects